How to be Single After a Long-Term Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Coming out of a long-term relationship can seem weird. There are just certain things that feel different and strange because you don’t have them by your side. The habits and traits you’ve grown to have because of the relationship suddenly dissipate since it only made sense with them. As sad as these situations may be, there are always way to get through it and get back on your feet without them. Whether the ending was mutual or not, focusing on what is important in your life will help you with this transition.

1. Dive into your hobbies! Or try new things!

Staying consistently active in whatever clubs or hobbies you’re involved in will help you feel normal beat in your life. For me, my dance team helped me get out of my room and get moving, so I didn’t have to worry about whatever was running through my mind. Better yet, this is the time to explore new avenues that you were unsure of or never thought of trying before. You now have more time to give more energy towards your interests.

2. Strengthen your bond with your friends.

Especially if you have a lot of mutual friends with your ex-partner, it is important to show that you are looking past their friendship with your ex and focusing on your bond with them. Your friends are the ones who you lean one during times of hard trials, and it is important to appreciate each one of them even in the smallest of gestures. One of my best friends, Julia, and I go on little dates all the time because our busy schedules tend to get in the way of seeing each other. You don’t need to do anything extravagant, but reciprocating the support your friends show you is effective and important.

3. Indulge in your work.

One of the hardest parts about leaving a long-term relationship is the loss of a part of your support system. Being able to go to them for anything and vice versa is comforting, and losing that is difficult to get past. Your career and future is something is based off your decisions and that can be scary to accomplish what you want without someone having your back. Everybody’s situation is different as far as who they rely on, but you are the strongest support you have. Finish that project, rock that presentation, do what you need to do to move forward in life. You make the final call at whatever you do, so give whatever you’re doing your all. I had an evening gown to design and sew for the American Heart Association, and I put my heart, soul, and a little blood into that dress. Keep moving towards your future, and the past will fall away in your mind.

4. Enjoy the little things.

Last, but not least, enjoy the little things in life. Doing things for you, and taking risks for you is an underappreciated aspect of being single. Enjoy your own company. Take up the whole bed while sleeping. Cook yourself a great meal. You have so many opportunities to date, meet someone new, and find someone that will appreciate you for you, but take your time. You don’t have to worry about anyone else but yourself and those who are important to you. Choose to do things that are best for you and soon you will feel at peace knowing that you are being 100% you.

Registered unicorn and obsessive dog-lover. Fun fact: It takes me at least fifteen minutes to figure out an outfit daily.