samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Improve Your Summer Internship Search

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

It’s that time of year again, the sun is starting to shine after the long winter, the flowers are blooming, most of us are debating whether to do our work or lay in the grass and ignore responsibility, or and try to secure one of those pesky things called a summer internship. Along with the beautiful spring weather comes The Million Dollar Question: What are your plans for the summer? Well as a fellow college student trying to figure out my plans for the fast approaching summer here are some of the tips and tricks I’ve figured out along the way.

1. Talk to Career Services

If you have no idea where to even begin, Career Services is a great jumping off point. Their job is to help and they have many resources available to you. Whether you visit their online services or office you’ll be sure to get what you need. They have sections of websites dedicated to career searches by majors. And if you decide to go into their office you can meet one on one with them while they help you learn how to search. Additionally, if you can, don’t forget to checkout many of the events they host throughout the semester dedicated to job/internship searching.

2. Use Key Words when Searching

When trying to search, it can become frustrating to find a job that fits your description. This is especially true when you have a specific major. If you discover that jobs or internships are popping up that don’t match what you are looking for, try searching under different titles. It’s also a good idea to talk to your professors about different titles you can search under. A pro-tip is to use quotation marks to find the exact phrase you’re searching for in the exact order that you put in. This quickly will narrow down your internet search to only the most relevant results!

3. Talk to Your Professors

This one ties in with the previous one perfectly. Your professors have worked in the industry and know many professionals and companies out there. Don’t be afraid to ask for tips on companies or contacts you can reach out to. You’ll usually find that your professors are more than willing to give you company names and contacts of industry professionals or alum.

IMAGE CREDIT: Stanford.edu

4. Use Microsoft Excel

Once you start applying and reaching out to internships, it can get tricky to keep track of everything. To organize your search, tart by making a couple headers such as Company Name, Location, Job Description, etc. One of the most important things is to write down any login information you may have created for application portals. Another great thing you can do is color-code companies. I typically highlight certain companies once I have applied and add another color if I have heard back from them, etc.

5. Write those Cover Letters!

Because I have a very specific major it is hard to find big companies that offer internship programs. If I find a company I’m interested in that doesn’t have internships listed, I find their contact info and send them a cover letter as the body of my e-mail and then attach my resume. Cover letters are often a source of anxiety for students, but what I’ve done is set up a bit of a template for myself. I start with introducing myself and explaining why I am interested in the company. From there, I briefly talk about my experience and what I’ve learned from it. Finally, I end it asking about the opportunities their company has and thanking them. Once you write one, you can quickly change out the info for other companies. Career Services also provides assistance with writing cover letters, or you can visit their website for additional guides and samples! 

I am a senior Textile Materials Technoloy major from good ol' Pollock Pines, CA. I love water skiing, dancing, and mom blogs!!!!!!!