2017 Deepher Dude Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Amidst the array of flyers and social media posts from the sisters of Delta Phi Epsilon, Deepher Dude is a hot topic on campus, but does anyone know what it is all about? Well, I’m here to break it down for you!

​As a fellow sister of DPhiE, philanthropy is huge part of what defines us as a sorority, and a major cause we as a national sorority have centered on is Cystic Fibrosis. Cystic Fibrosis or CF is an inherited disorder that severely affects the lungs, digestive system, and other areas of the body. There is no cure, but mass improvements to treatments of CF have vastly improved the lives of those currently living with CF. However, this is far from the end of the battle. 

But what does all of this have to do with Deepher Dude? Well, this hilariously fun male beauty pageant is actually a fundraiser for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF). Deepher Dude is hosted by Delta Phi Epsilon chapters across the nation, and is an annual event on every campus. All proceeds go to CFF to further improve those living with CF and hopefully one day find a cure. The sisters of DPhiE are truly passionate about this cause because this issue hits close to home for several of our sisters. 

This year’s Deepher Dude was on February 10th, hosted by DPhiE’s Jessica Galatro and last year’s winner Shakarr Hawkins, and each year is better than the last. This year’s contestants were John Simmons, Stephen Dengler, John Cecil, Rajan Bhatt, Richard Jansen, Nicholas Hammerschmidt, Dylan Beckwith, Justin Grambor, and Carson Miller. There were a few rounds of judging: swimsuit, talent, and questions. The guys showcased a variety of talents, varying from singing to pumping iron to swing dancing. After battling it out for the crown, the winner of this year’s Deepher Dude 2017 was John Simmons. While the numbers are still coming in, we were able to raise over $2,300 for CFF. It was an amazing night for all, and we hope to see you again next year!

For more information, check out these links below:

https://www.cff.org – Cystic Fibrosis Foundation

https://www.facebook.com/events/1003267076484329/ – Deepher Dude ‘17 Event Page

Registered unicorn and obsessive dog-lover. Fun fact: It takes me at least fifteen minutes to figure out an outfit daily.