photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

What to do in Cleveland Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

With winter break right around the corner, I’ve been dreaming about home cooked meals, spending time with friends and family, and getting a break from schoolwork.  I am truly thankful to have a month off school, but sometimes, it can get a little boring.  After all the excitement of seeing everyone wears off, what else is there to do?  Well, if you are in the Cleveland area this winter, there’s actually a ton of really cool, fun things you can do to keep yourself entertained!  Here just a few of the many activities you can do with family, friends, or even by yourself for an afternoon/ evening away (in no particular order)!

1. Ice skating at Wade Oval

What says winter more than one of the most classic winter activities?  Head over to Wade Oval now through March 4th for a great time twirling (and, if you’re anything like me, falling) on the ice!

1. Tobogganing at the Metroparks’ chalet in Strongsville

Have you ever experienced the thrill of tobogganing?  If not, the Strongsville Toboggan Chutes and Chalet is the perfect spot to go!  With the tallest, fastest ice shoots in Ohio, you’ll be sure to have a great time!

1. Museums

Cleveland is home to one of the best art museums in the country, and it’s free!  Also, don’t forget about the Great Lakes Science Center, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum, and so many others!

1. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Looking for a museum unique to Cleveland?  Why don’t you check out this legendary museum all about rock and roll!

1. Glow at the Cleveland Botanical Garden

Take a trip to the botanical garden to see Glow, a Cleveland holiday tradition!  The gardens are decorated to spread holiday cheer.

1. The “A Christmas Story House”

With Christmas right around the corner, what can get you in the Christmas spirit better than a visit to this house?!  It’s full of original props from the movie and it is a great way to spend an afternoon with your family!

1. Playhouse Square

Take a trip downtown to the second largest performing arts center in the country!  With Playhouse Square’s multiple theaters and shows, there is sure to be something for everyone!

1. Cleveland Cavaliers

How about taking a trip to Quicken Loans Arena to see the Cleveland Cavaliers play?  After an amazing 2016 NBA championship and a great 2017 season, you won’t want to miss out on this!

1. Cleveland Orchestra

Looking for a relaxing night out filled with beautiful music?  Treat yourself to a night out at Severance Hall to see the Cleveland Orchestra! 

1. Cleveland Institute of Music Concert

If you still would like to have a night out listening to great music, but aren’t looking to spend the money, a concert by the Cleveland Institute of Music seems like the activity for you!  They put on incredible concert series and the best part is, they are free of charge!