This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

This weekend was another traveling trip for me, this time to Holland. I came to Amsterdam on the invite of a friend knowing very little about the city. It turned out to be full of fun and exciting things to do!

What I Got to Do:

• Indonesian food– As our kindly host told us, Dutch food is not actually that great. The big-deal cuisine in the Netherlands is actually Indonesian. Indonesia was a Dutch colony for a number of years before gaining its independence, and there’s a wide selection of Indonesian restaurants in Amsterdam to choose from. I’d never had Indonesian food before, and allowed our host to order for me. Our meal was a generous sampling of delicious dishes including beef, rice, shrimp, chicken, and vegetables.

• Canal tour– The city of Amsterdam is actually below sea level, and is protected from flooding by a complex system of canals and locks. One of my favorite activities of this trip was to take a boat tour of the canals. We did ours at night and it was a bit rainy, but I still loved it. There was interesting commentary on the city’s history throughout the ride, and it was an incredibly unique view of the city. Bridge arches are lit up with string lights and reflect in glimmering blurs in the water. It was really beautiful!

• The Peace Palace– One of the most important buildings and institutions in the Hague is the Peace Palace. Not only is it a beautiful building full of gorgeous art, but it also houses the International Court of Justice and the Permanent Court of Arbitration, among other things. I was lucky enough to get a look around the inside of the building, but missed out on the gardens, which are supposed to be stunning.

What I Missed:

• Anne Frank House– One of the most famous and important attractions in Amsterdam is the house where Anne Frank lived and hid from the Nazis. The house has since been turned into a museum and visitors today can see where Anne wrote her famous diary and lived in secret for about two years. Tickets for this one have to be booked much farther in advance than I had planned, so I didn’t get to go. I’m definitely disappointed to have missed it, though it certainly would have been an emotional experience.

• Vondelpark– It was a bit chilly and drizzly while I was in the city, so Vondelpark might not have been the best thing to do in November anyway. But this beautiful park looks like the perfect place to sit on the grass with your favorite book, stroll beneath the trees, or grab something to eat. Though the weather didn’t cooperate for me, I’d imagine that Vondelpark is glorious in the summer.  

• Pancakes– Though the Dutch are not generally known for their cuisine, one thing they did get right is pancakes. Or, so I hear. I didn’t get a chance to try any this weekend, which was a shame. Options vary from larger crepe-like pancakes to poffertjes, small, buttery pancakes that you can get on the street. I’ll want to be back to try those for sure.

I had an awesome weekend in Amsterdam and the Hague, filled with art, delicious food, and culture. But there’s so much still to see; I would love to make it back someday!

Mallory Fitzpatrick is a senior at John Carroll University, who loves reading, writing, and travel.