People I Want to See Host SNL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

I watch SNL religiously, and season 43 has had some GREAT hosts: Kumail Nanjiani, John Mulaney, Tiffany Haddish, and 15 others. But lately I was thinking of some people who have NOT hosted SNL, and here are some individuals that I think would be excellent:

• Chrissy Teigen. Chrissy Teigen is undoubtedly hilarious, which is as good a reason as any for her to host SNL, but she also already has a great idea for a sketch: “An SNL sketch where the reporters report on their own sexual misconduct and firings but they don’t know it until live prompter.” Give her an episode!!! Everything she touches is blessed. Plus, her husband John Legend could be the musical guest! That would be so fun!  
  • Gordon Ramsay.  In 2016, famous chef Gordon Ramsay did a parody of his show Hotel Hell on The Late Late Show with James Corden, and it was so freaking funny. Then, in March of this year, he did a parody of his shows MasterChef and MasterChef Junior called MasterChef Senior, also on The Late Late Show with James Corden. WATCH THOSE VIDEOS. They are so funny, and Gordon Ramsay is just a genius in every way. I cannot even imagine the genius he would bring to SNL. I need this to happen.  
  • John Krasinski. I know it seems like the beloved The Office actor would’ve hosted by now, especially since his new movie “A Quiet Place” just came out,  but he has not! His wife Emily Blunt has, but somehow John Krasinski has never been honored with an SNL host position. To me, that’s just crazy. This guy is so funny?? He would do great.
  • Tessa Thompson.  You probably know Tessa Thompson as the alcoholic Valkyrie from “Thor: Ragnarok.” I don’t know about you, but she absolutely stole my heart. I would be thrilled to see her do anything, but I especially think that she would be great to host SNL. Because she’s perfect.  
  • Barack Obama.  I mean, we all loved seeing how happy Obama was when he went kitesurfing, so imagine how great it would be to see him hosting SNL?? Plus, the thing that SNL does best (arguably) is political satire, so think how great this episode could be! Plus, Donald Trump hosted in November 2015, so this feels only fair. He has made a few cameos in the past, but it’s time for him to host an episode.  
  • Beyoncé. Beyoncé, the most important person in the world, has never hosted SNL. She has appeared as a musical guest 4 times, but that is just not enough. She needs to be a host. I shouldn’t have to explain this.
  • Jonathan Van Ness. You know this ray of literal sunshine from Netflix’s new show Queer Eye–which, by the way, just got renewed for a second season! I say that once Season 2 comes out, SNL bring this boy over to host. He is so darn beautiful and pure, he should just host every show ever made forever.  
  • Idris Elba. This man is the most perfect specimen of a human being. Now, he might’ve had mostly dramatic roles so far, but apparently he is set to star in a new Netflix comedy called Turn Up Charlie! He said in an interview, “I’m funny. Watch me work. Well done, Netflix, for recognizing a brother.” See? He’s funny! SNL, hit him up please.  
  • Mindy Kaling. Again, this feels like something that should’ve happened by now, but somehow, Mindy Kaling has never hosted SNL! She obviously is an expert comedy writer, since she wrote for The Office, The Mindy Project, and the new TV series Champions. She’s also been in a TON of awesome movies, like “Inside Out,” “Wreck-It Ralph,” “A Wrinkle in Time,” and the upcoming “Ocean’s 8.” She wrote one sketch for SNL in 2006, but she clearly needs a real opportunity. Say, as an episode host.  
  • Harry Styles. Now, Harry was a musical guest on SNL back in April 2017, but he appeared in the “Celebrity Family Feud” sketch as Mick Jagger and STOLE THE SHOW. He needs to host an entire episode so that he can show us the full range of his comedic talents. Plus, he did a whole bunch of skits with James Corden last year when he co-hosted The Late Late Show for a week. It was one of the greatest weeks of my life. I firmly believe that there is nothing this boy cannot do.
  • Meryl Streep. It is an absolute scandal that Meryl Streep has never hosted SNL. Abby Elliott has impersonated her twice, but the queen herself has never appeared on the show. This is especially scandalous considering that Meryl Streep starred in “It’s Complicated,” a 2009 movie also starring SNL LEGENDS Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. So, why hasn’t she shown up?? I need answers.

Well, that is just a small smackerel of people, but really, I would be thrilled to see any of these suggestions host SNL. In any case, you’ll be able to find me on the couch at 11:29 pm on May 5th to see Donald Glover host!

Grace is a JCU senior, double majoring in Theology & Religious Studies and Political Science. She loves social justice, Disney, and joking about absolutely everything. Her specialty is ranking movies.