jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Movies Coming Out This Summer: 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

It’s finally summer! For all your movie-watching needs, here are some of the upcoming films I’m most excited to see! Unfortunately, we are still in the era of reboots and sequels. Try not to lose heart. “Avengers: Infinity War” – April 27

Yes, this one already came out, but it also had the biggest opening weekend of all time. So, do yourself a favor and go see what everyone is talking about!

“Deadpool 2” – May 18

Ryan Reynolds is back in his greatest role ever, and guy who plays the villain in Avengers: Infinity War is also the villain in this movie. Who says a movie studio can’t steal things from itself?

“Solo: A Star Wars Story” – May 25

Honestly, I’m not really that excited for this one, but whatever. It has Chewbacca, and that’s what is most important to me.

“Ocean’s 8” – June 8

I am SO EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE. Basically, it’s a remake of “Ocean’s 11”, but with women. The cast is the gift that keeps on giving — Mindy Kaling, Rihanna, Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, and many other awesome women looking fine and taking names.

“The Incredibles 2” – June 15

Well, 14 years after the original, Pixar has tapped into another movie they can make a sequel to! I’m just teasing, I’m sure this one will be a fun time. Although, can we address that the plot is basically the same as “Cheaper by the Dozen”, “Mr. Mom” and “Daddy Day-Care”? Dads don’t understand how hard it is to raise kids, we get it.

“Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” – June 22

Um. Is it just me, or is this the exact same movie we’ve seen like three times already? But if you liked the other ones, here you go.

“Ant-Man and the Wasp” – July 6

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Paul Rudd is a hidden treasure. He’s pretty much the only thing that made the first “Ant-Man” worth watching, so hopefully he can carry the sequel too. Plus, Hope lost the bangs, thank God.

“Hotel Transylvania 3” – July 13

Remember how I said this summer is going to have a lot of sequels? Yeah, here’s another one. I guess if you’re babysitting a bunch of kids this summer, you could go see “Hotel Transylvania 3” with them. Otherwise, I don’t know why you’d bother.

“Skyscraper” – July 13

The Rock is back! Now, you might be saying, “Grace, we just saw him. He was in that movie ‘Rampage’ that came out in April! There’s no way he did another movie where he single-handedly saves a city overrun with giant explosions and guns and fight scenes!” I know. He did. He really did.

“The Equalizer 2” – July 20

I never saw the original “Equalizer”, so I have no idea what the premise is here, but Denzel Washington is a powerhouse actor. Have you seen “Remember the Titans”? GREAT movie. Actually, just watch that one instead. It’s probably way better. Plus, Ryan Gosling is in it when he’s just 20-years-old!!! Such a baby. Okay, anyway.

“Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again!” – July 20

Oof. If you were really into the first one, I guess this would be exciting, but I am a little nervous. Lily James did her very best singing in Cinderella (the live-action one), and it was like, average? And Amanda Seyfried, bless her, isn’t much of a showstopper either, so I’m not sure how well this musical will be musically. Why did “La La Land” promote the idea that non-singers should be allowed to sing?? Because they really shouldn’t.

“Mission Impossible 6: Fallout” – July 27

Listen, we’ve already got a Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson shoot ’em up movie and a Denzel Washington thriller, so I don’t really know how Tom Cruise plans to impress us this summer. I mean, he’s up against Dwayne Johnson in basically the same movie. Sorry, Tom Cruise. You’re pretty, but you peaked in 1992 with “A Few Good Men”. Give it up.

“Christopher Robin” – August 3

Alright, this is a bit confusing, because just last year Fox Searchlight Pictures made “Goodbye, Christopher Robin”, which was a somewhat biographical look at A. A. Milne’s life (the author of the Winnie the Pooh books). But this is a completely separate movie! “Christopher Robin” is produced by Disney, and it’s a fictional story where Christopher Robin has grown up and lost sight of what’s important in life (or something?) and then Pooh Bear and friends show up and help him. Kinda like “Hook”, probably?

Well, that’s all, folks! Obviously, these aren’t all the movies that are coming out this summer, just some highlights. Happy movie watching!

Grace is a JCU senior, double majoring in Theology & Religious Studies and Political Science. She loves social justice, Disney, and joking about absolutely everything. Her specialty is ranking movies.
JCU Campus Correspondent