He Said, She Said: Halloween, the friend zone, and what it means to be basic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

What do you think about couple costumes?

Allison: I think couple costumes can either be great or absolutely terrible. Personally, the only time I have worn a couple’s costume was for my sorority’s semi-formal dance; it was thrown together last minute and was more on the terrible end, but I had fun and my boyfriend and I still looked awesome. If you’re considering matching your costume with your other half, go watch How I Met Your Mother. Marshall and Lilly’s various Halloween couple’s costumes will truly inspire your inner creativity, and you will be uniquely matching your significant other in no time.

Derek: For Halloween couple costumes are fine under one of three circumstances. One, the boyfriend is actually okay with it. Two, the girlfriend is actually okay with it. Three, it is a creative and original couple costume; if you go as Barbie and Ken everyone will cringe at the sight of you.

How do I escape the “friend zone”?

Allison: You escape the “friend zone” when you decide to leave it. The friend zone is not Nike- DO NOT JUST DO IT. Don’t try to step your game up, just give up. Odds are that the person who friend zoned you has it set in their mind that they will never be romantically involved with you. Go explore some other options, and leave the friend zone. If you willingly choose to stay in the friend zone, do not go around telling people that “nice guys finish last.” For further comments on this issue, please watch “Nice Guys Do Not Finish Last” by Jenna Marbles. That is all.

Derek: When it comes to a man dishing out the ticket to the friend zone, it is an ironclad transaction. For men the friend zone is not something we use often. It is used in only rare occasions, and when it does happen it most likely will stay that way. Here are my tips for you: You have a very good chance to escape the friend zone if the man in question is shy. If he is shy, he probably put you in his friend zone because he has feelings for you but is not confident enough to act upon those feelings. Through this he gradually started to believe he could only be friends with you. For these men, the best way to get out is to have a preemptive strike before he locks the key on the friend zone. Be straightforward and honest, tell him you like him. You may not think this will work, but it will.

One of the things you should not do though is talk about guys with him. If you ever mention other guys in the context of their attractiveness or date-ability, the guy will assume he is in the friend zone and in turn, put you in his.

What’s the best thing to do on Halloween at JCU?

Allison: I feel that I am not exactly qualified to answer this question considering I was taking Cabbie D. down to City and East last Halloween. However, if I could re-do last year, I would’ve just hung out with some of my good friends (in costumes because it’s Halloween), then I would’ve rented some scary movies, ate gummy worms and gummy eyeballs (again, it’s Halloween), and then I would’ve created a Witch’s Brew to accompany my gummy worms and gummy eyeballs. 

Derek: Eat candy until you hate yourself… But in all seriousness, there are a couple “best things” to do at JCU depending on what kind of person you are. The first and most obvious is for all the party people. There are going to be a couple “main” parties going on off campus. You can dress up for it or not, but hey, why not do some crazy costume no one will remember anyway. The second is if you do not like to party, but you love hanging with friends. Go to someone’s dorm lounge or their room, enjoy each other’s company, snack your hearts out, and watch the scariest movies you can find. The final one is for all you pranksters out there. There are plenty of opportunities to use the acceptance of costumes to your advantage. You can put on a scary outfit and wait anywhere there is high walking traffic for prime scaring territory; my recommendation is stairways. 

What does “basic” mean to you?

Allison: Well, others describe basic as a girl drinking Starbucks while wearing her UGGs and North Face. These things make my heart happy, so I guess I would have to say that “basic,” to me, is happiness.

Derek: OMG, girl I swear. I literally can’t even!” “Hold on let me tell you everything after I finish my Snapchat story, it only needs one more selfie.” “Let me get in it, girl, my bun is on point today!” “It totally is! Get in here girl!” “Awe we look so perfect together.” “Twinsies! Ok, so what’s the scoop, what happened?!” “You will not believe what just happened to me.” “There was a sale at Starbucks?” “No.” “You got a new pair of Uggs?” “I wish, but no.” “Is that a new North face?” “That too, I totally forgot isn’t it cute?! But no it’s not. Do you give up?” “Yeah tell me already?” “Okay, so I was on my iPhone looking at Facebook and I saw that Jake posted a new profile picture with his shirt off!” “No he didn’t! I am literally dying that is the best thing I have ever heard seriously” “I know isn’t it?! Anyhow, let’s go get some pumpkin spice lattes.”

…………That is what basic means to me.

Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!