This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes #2) by Sabaa Tahir

5/5 stars

Premise-(4.5/5) I was pleasantly surprised by An Ember in the Ashes. I went into it not expecting much and came out engrossed in the world and invested in the characters. So, I was pretty excited for A Torch Against the Night. Laia and Elias are on the run from pretty much everyone, racing to free Laia’s brother from the notorious Kauf Prison before it’s too late. Meanwhile, Helene struggles to figure out where her loyalties lie as she faces an increasing pressure as the Blood Shrike. I was so ready!

Characters- (5/5) We had three narrators in Torch: Elias, Laia, and Helene. It was really interesting to get Helene’s point of view, and Elias and Laia were as interesting as ever. Elias’ plotline was especially interesting, and I’m very curious to see where it goes in the next book. Laia’s character development (aided by Keenan, whose plot twist was excellent) was really important. To see her lose confidence only to find it again in a rocky up and down was great to read. Difficult, but important. And I loved seeing more of Helene. I was heartbroken for her, and I’m a little afraid of where she’ll go next. It was nice to see Afya again, and I liked Gibran a lot, I wish we’d gotten more of him. Cook has become very interesting, and I would like some answers about her. *mild spoilers ahead* It was great to see Izzi again, if only for a little bit. And I can’t wait to see more of Darin!

Plot- (5/5) Elias and Laia’s journeys, both together and separately were adrenaline-inducing and full of action. Their plans at Kauf Prison were clever, with all the details considered carefully. And the inner turmoil and complex politics of the Empire will continue to keep all the characters on their toes. Between the Nightbringer, the Commandant, the Emperor, and the discontent Martial Gens, there’s no shortage of conflict. Elias and Laia will have to take on all these enemies to bring freedom to the Scholars with the help of Darin’s secret. And Helene will have to find her place in the rapidly changing political landscape. I definitely stayed up later than I should have reading Torch, but boy did it keep me on the edge of my seat.

World- (4.5/5) It was really cool to see more of the Tribal Lands, but there’s still so much I want to see! Kauf Prison was horrifying, but realistic. Tahir’s compelling world drew me in in Ember, and she continued the excellent world-building in Torch. My only complaint is that I want to see even more and explore more of this world.

Writing- (4/5) Similar to Ember, Tahir’s writing isn’t especially beautiful, but it fits her setting perfectly. She handles a number of extremely heavy topics in both Ember and Torch. These difficult topics are the realities of war; things like torture and genocide are often terrible truths that come along with war. Tahir acknowledges and recognizes these atrocities and handles them in a mature, respectful way by naming them for what they are.

Overall- (4.6/5) An Ember in the Ashes was so much more than I was expecting, and its sequel did not disappoint. It blew me away! A Torch Against the Night was full of fascinating characters with an incredibly compelling plot. Tahir’s prose builds an intricate world with shifting loyalties, big personalities, and complicated politics. My biggest disappointment is how long we have to wait for the next book!

Mallory Fitzpatrick is a senior at John Carroll University, who loves reading, writing, and travel.