This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Overall Rating of Everything Leads to You: 4/5 stars

Premise – (4/5) So the premise is pretty vague, but it sets us up for the meeting of our narrator, Emi, aspiring production designer, with Ava, the mysterious, long-lost granddaughter of a great film star. I was a little nervous that this book was going to be a sad ending, I think because I saw something else of Nina LaCour’s like that — We Will Be Okay, maybe? I don’t remember. Anyway, I’d heard great things, but didn’t want to read a sad romance because I’m not about sad books or pure romance, and certainly not together. Still, who doesn’t love a good Hollywood mystery?

Characters – (4/5) Some of the characters could’ve been fleshed out a bit more. I would’ve enjoyed learning more about Charlotte, Toby, Jamal, to name a few. But the most important characters, Emi and Ava, were really, really well done. I loved the deconstruction of Ava as a mystery-girl, that was very frank and honest, as was the rest of Ava’s past. It was painful, but very sincere, and I liked that. Lots of supporting characters, from Emi’s parents to her ex-girlfriend, to Ava’s difficult mother and other professionals in the movie business. While some of the characters could’ve used a little more depth, they were believable and sympathetic.

Plot – (5/5) To be honest there wasn’t too much plot. I loved the initial mystery, but that was solved fairly quickly. Now, when I say there wasn’t a lot of plot, that’s not to say there wasn’t conflict, because there was plenty of that. But there wasn’t one big, major plot that the book was hurtling towards. This is a book about details, the intricacies of life and love and relationships and it’s very messy and not always as grand as you think. And I liked that because it’s true and real. The book definitely slowed down in the second half, but it kept me interested throughout.

World – (5/5) I don’t have much experience in L.A., but I loved Lacour’s depiction of it. Sometimes it’s easier to fall in love with a city you’re not familiar with, but the picture LaCour painted of neon streets and little markets and big Hollywood stars and late, empty nights was absolutely enchanting.

Writing – (5/5) Everything Leads to You was so easy to read. Although it touched on some difficult themes, it was overall fairly light and hopeful. The writing was fairly simple, but it was very sweet and engaging.

Overall – (4.6/5) This is a really great summer read. If you’re into movies, want some good ownvoices representation (biracial–half black mother and white father, though that’s not talked about too much, and lesbian), or are just looking for something satisfying and easy to bring to the beach, check this one out. Full of life lessons with a touch of mystery, Everything Leads to You is an excellent read.

Trigger Warnings: unsupportive parents, homelessness/shelter living, drug use and overdose

Mallory Fitzpatrick is a senior at John Carroll University, who loves reading, writing, and travel. 
JCU Campus Correspondent