pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Senior’s Advice to the New Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jax State chapter.

It feels like just yesterday I was moving into my dreaded freshman dorm room and telling myself that sharing a tiny space with another person 24/7 wouldn’t be the end of the world. I had no idea that the best four years of my life would fly by in the blink of an eye. I’d like to think that now that I’ve started my senior year that I have at least some good advice to share with new freshmen.

1. Get to know what’s on campus

There are so many resources to take advantage of on campus! Personally, I wish I had used Stephenson more. It’s a gym membership that’s included in your tuition… why not use it? It has flexible hours that work for busy college students. You can also choose from all types of classes… from early morning, mid-day, to late afternoon. The classes range from dance, Zumba, cardio, pound, kickboxing, and much more! What a great way to keep off the dreaded freshmen 15?

Another awesome resource is the Academic Center for Excellence, also known as ACE. ACE is located in the Theron Montgomery Building (the student commons building), and is a great place for studying, tutoring, or just for getting homework done! ACE has great hours… they are usually open until 2 AM! There are so many people there who are willing to help you succeed in the classroom.

2. Go to class

You ARE here to get an education, right? The best thing you can do is just go to class. Even on those days where class is the last thing you want to do, just go and be present. Being there will help you so much more in the long run, even if you are only halfway listening.

3. Don’t go home every chance you get

The transition to college is hard, I know. I was homesick for weeks and called my mom crying almost every morning… but the best thing I did for myself was stay in Jacksonville for my first weekend here. Almost all of my friends went home and they came back more homesick than ever. Going to college is meant to teach you how to live on your own, so do it. Live on your own. Learn to cook, clean, and do laundry. There’s several different things to do in Jacksonville… you can take a walk on the Ladiga Trail, go up to Jacksonville Mountain and experience the breathtaking views, or enjoy a day of enjoying a hammock on the quad on campus.  Whatever you decide to do, just make the most of your time in Jacksonville, it’s so incredibly worth it.

4. Put yourself out there

Cliché, I know, but so true. Join clubs that interest you. Stay on campus as much as possible. Go watch sporting events. Jacksonville State has so many clubs and organization for tons of things that will interest you. Join a club and run for a leadership position. You can even start your own club!

5. Learn how to balance your time

Balancing your time is the key to being successful in college. Unlike high school, you aren’t in class all day every day. You might have one or two classes a day and then you’ll have the rest of the day to do whatever you want! One really useful tip that my older friends told me my freshman year was to do my homework for class as soon as I got out of class. You’re already in class-mode, so why not go ahead and get your homework out of the way so you don’t have to interrupt binge watching Netflix to write an essay or post an annoying discussion board?

6. Invest in a good planner

This is the best thing I’ve done for myself since going to college. My favorite planner I’ve ever had is my Erin Condren. You can customize EC planners as daily, hourly, horizontally, vertically, and almost every way imaginable. You can also customize the design and add your name and pictures! I color coordinate my planner as much as possible. Schoolwork and class is red, sorority stuff is blue, work is green, and personal is pink. This helps me see what all I have to do each date and makes it easy to keep track of due dates so they don’t sneak up on me. Seriously, invest in a good planner. You’ll live by it.

There are lots of other things that you’ll learn throughout your time in college, but these have been the most useful for me. College is all about having fun. Work hard, play harder.

Hannah Knight

Jax State '18

Georgia Native. Panhellenic President. Communications Major.