This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jax State chapter.

A couple of years ago, an ice bucket challenge gained attention globally to raise money and awareness for ALS. I recently learned of another challenge called the “No Pucker Challenge” to raise awareness for a fatal disease called Niemann Pick Disease Type C (NPC), or known as Childhood Alzheimer’s.

NPC is a progressive genetic disorder that does not let the body transport fatty substances or cholesterol in the cells. Most cases are diagnosed in the stages of early childhood and continue to be a life-threatening disease. NPC can affect psychiatric and neurological functions while affecting the internal organs as well. It includes the lack of gaining muscle ton/muscle coordination and it also impairs the ability to look up and down. Hearing loss can also occur. The classic symptom is clumsiness and difficulty writing or drawing in children. NPC can also lead to slurred or incomprehensible speech and difficulty swallowing and eating.

The No Pucker Challenge is a new viral video that encourages you to take part in the challenge, then challenge three other people to take it. The challenge requires you to eat a lemon and try your hardest not to pucker your lips (it’s tough I know). The videos are tagged by #nopuckerchallenge or #curenpc. You can donate to the cause by going to nopuckerchallenge.org, or by simply posting your video!

Jacksonville State // Panhellenic Council // Phi Mu