How Rescuing a Pup Changed Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jax State chapter.

My whole life I have been a complete cat person. I was not fond of many, if any, dogs and couldn’t see why someone would chose a canine over a cat. But that was all before I rescued Milli. About a year ago, my dad sent me a picture of a small brown puppy, and asked if my sister and I would want it. She automatically said yes, however, I was a bit hesitant. After spending about a week with Milli, I knew she was something special.

It started off with her inching towards me on the couch when she would take a nap. For some reason, she always had to be touching me. Pretty soon, she started sleeping in my lap. Then, she started following me every step I made. It was as if I had another shadow. This small puppy had such a big personality, and made me fall more in love with every small bark and lick. As Milli grew, so did our relationship. She is all grown up now, but still loves to sleep in my lap and follow me everywhere. Rescuing Milli helped me grow my love for animals, and has truly shown me how a dog can be a girl’s best friend. I would never have in a million years thought a slobbery puppy would be the best thing to happen to me.

Hannah Knight

Jax State '18

Georgia Native. Panhellenic President. Communications Major.