This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jax State chapter.

Growing up can be tough… but growing out of things can be tougher.

I was raised to not quit anything, not do anything halfway, and not to back out when the going gets tough. I have always prided myself in my perseverance, but that changed over the past few months.

I thought I had it all figured out. I found my niche, my people, had the “perfect” plan in my head. Graduate college, become an alum of my sorority, move to my dream town, and have an office job doing what I’ve gone to school for.

Boy, was I wrong. “Life Changes” by Thomas Rhett has somehow become my theme song for my last semester of college. “You never know what’s going to happen, you make your plans and you head God laughing…” has completely summed up my life over the past few months.

Over the course of the past few months, I began to realize that I have changed as a person more than I ever thought I would. I learned how to get out of toxic friendships, relationships, and groups that I had been told would make me the best person I could be. Realizing that those things weren’t what God intended for me to do was scary.

There have been times when I have second guessed myself, had to spend several nights alone, and times that my (what used to be) “friends” criticizing me for not sharing the same beliefs as them. But let me tell you… getting out of those toxic situations is the absolute best thing that could have happened to me.

Now, I have found my true group of people. My people who tell me what I need to hear and not what I want to hear, my people who push me to excel in every area of my life, and my people who know what I’m thinking without me even voicing it.

As for my dream job… HA. My life has COMPLETELY changed and my plans are not even close to what they used to be.

So if there is anyone out there like I was… feeling unhappy, being told that they aren’t good enough, or in questionable friendships/relationships, know that it is scary, but it is absolutely okay to get out. Your plans are going to change, but that’s a good thing.

I can honestly say that right now I am happier than I have EVER been, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Hannah Knight

Jax State '18

Georgia Native. Panhellenic President. Communications Major.