To the Girl Who Was 14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jax State chapter.

To the girl who was fourteen…When I look back at fourteen I think of high school, sports, my first love, and trying to impress everyone. Remembering thinking I didn’t know what I was going to do after I was done playing all four of the sports I participated in. Looking back on all those nights that I stayed up talking to that one boy who I thought was the one. Trying to fix my makeup and my hair perfect every day to impress that one boy and everyone else. Always looking at myself in the mirror thinking to myself that I wasn’t pretty enough, wasn’t small enough, or just wasn’t enough in general. Looking back now and thinking to myself if I could go back and tell myself what I know now. All the worries, the pain and the tears were not worth it. I would go back and tell any girl at fourteen that they are enough. That they don’t need a man, makeup, or anything to make them feel better about their self. That even though you think being fourteen is hard, these are the times that are going to be a breeze in the end. Fourteen-year-old girl hold your head high, be yourself, smile, and dream big because one day you will look back on these days and think to yourself if I only knew then what I know now.

Hannah Knight

Jax State '18

Georgia Native. Panhellenic President. Communications Major.