This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

We all go through break-ups, and it may feel like the worst thing ever. But, let’s be real; remember that thing that happened a month or two ago that you thought, “how am I going to get through this?” and you got through it. Or, remember that other problem that you had on your hands two years ago that had you crying three days out of the week? Point is, at times when we may feel that the world is crashing down on us, and we’re at our lowest points, it all gets better. Patience is key and things will not happen overnight. I am one of those people who believe that everything in this world happens for a reason. I will not sit here and say that I do not worry about anything, but I try my hardest to keep faith and trust the process. If you cannot change something, all you can do is accept it. So, if you or a friend are currently going through a break-up, or any difficult time in your life at the moment, here are a few activities you can partake in to keep you busy:

1. Laugh

Laughing is the best therapy. What do you think is more appealing: walking around with a frown on your face, or smiling and being happy? Also, what would people prefer to be around? Go with a friend to a upcoming comedy show, or pop open Netflix and watch some stand up comedies. Kevin Hart is always my go to.

(Photo by Frankie Cordoba)

2. Go the gym

For me, working out is a stress reliver. We all know the common, “let me sit on the couch and stuff my face with ice cream” break-up solution but how healthy is that? Going to the gym will not only have you relieving some stress and anger, but it will have you looking good in the process! It’s time to get those summer bodies right anyway.(Photo by Ricardo Estefânio)

3. Pursue your passion

Being in a relationship (especially an unhealthy one) can stop your from reaching your full potential. Also, relationships take up a significant amount of time; you are committing yourself to another individual. If you have not already started, freshly getting out of a relationship is a great time to go follow your dreams. Do not go looking to get involved with somebody else, but something else; something that you truly enjoy and have passion for.(Photo by Natalia Y)

4. Get cute (Spoil and treat yourself)

When we look good, we feel good. Take the time out to go treat yourself; get your hair and nails done. I always feel my best after I leave from getting a manicure, pedicure, and eyebrows waxed. Also, if you don’t usually wear makeup, this could be a good time to spice things up a little bit and give you a new feel. Start off by simply wearing a new lip gloss or lipstick everyday. Whose to say that we can’t look good and be sad at the same time?(Photo by Guilherme Petri)

5.  Get a journal

Going through a break-up or not, I write in my journal several times a week (every day is my goal). Writing down my feelings and anything else that comes to my mind is the most relaxing and therapeutic thing for me. Journaling is a great way to recognize, accept, and deal with your emotions, and find clarity.

(Photo by David Travis)

6. Count your blessings

As we all can and do recognize our struggles and problems that we deal with, never forget to count your blessings as well. Think of those family and friends that you have in your life who you can always count on and support you. Or what opportunities have you recently been offered that you are grateful for? Landed a new job, an internship to be looking forward to this summer? Whatever comes to mind, write it down. Focusing on all of the things you have in life to be grateful for can be a life changer.(Photo by Tanja Heffner)

7. Detach yourself

This includes unfriending them on social media (their friends too), getting rid of any pictures or gifts, (if throwing them out is too difficult for you, putting them away in a box somewhere is good). I am a person who believes that no grudge should ever be held towards anyone in life. You never know when somebodies last day on Earth will be. But, it is very important to give yourself some time to grieve. Most of the time, relationships end bad, which means negativity. If you rush to forgive somebody without recognizing and dealing with your emotions first, you are only keeping the negativity with you. Remember, self-care first, and never rush anything.(Photo by Shane Rounce)

Remember to just take things one day at a time. Things will not magically get better overnight, but in time everything will make sense. Just give yourself time to focus on you.

Graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S in Child Development and Family Relations in May 2018. I have a passion for working with the youth, making a difference in the community, and having a positive impact on individual's lives. "A good woman, trying to be a better woman, while inspiring and helping the next woman."