Why 13 Reasons Why is So Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

If you have a Netflix and friends you would have been told by now that there is a new show Netflix original called 13 Reasons Why that is a must see. The show is set in a high school and the main plot follows the high school students. Primarily, Hannah Baker and Clay, otherwise known as helmet. Throughout the show there are several main messages that are rather serious and can be extremely heavy. The first and most obvious is suicide. Teen suicide has proven to be one of the leading causes of teenage death in the United States. This is due to severe bullying and feeling like this deep sadness will last forever. This is due to having a brain that is not fully matured. An average teenage brain is around 80% matured. That other 20% lends to the thinking that the emotions that one feels at the time will never go away and life will never get better. This can sadly end to someone choosing to end their life.

Another large factor in teenage suicide is bullying. Especially with the inclusion of social media, bullying continues to be a huge factor in the school environment. In today’s age, cyberbullying makes it so even when you leave school or don’t attend that school the harassment from classmates can still persist. This sad statistic can lead to the overwhelming statistics in suicide that we see today. One report claiming “Each day in our nation, 5,240 young people from seventh grade to twelfth grade attempt to end their life” (CDC, 2016). This stat is shocking to so many because for those who haven’t dealt with bullying personally in the past, suicide is not thought of often.

This show however wonderful and sad teaches the general public a couple important things. One of which being it can take only one person to prevent a suicide. In the show, the character who tragically dies, Hannah, lists 13 reasons why she did what she did. If the actions of her sophomore and junior classmates were different, the outcome might have changed. The other important message is help is out there if you need it or are seeking it. If a depressed teen or adult finds himself or herself in a position where they are thinking about ending their life early there are avenues. He or she can talk to someone in their life that they know well. For instance, close family, close friends, or a trusted adult. If this isn’t an option for him or her there are anonymous options as well. One important number to keep in mind is the suicide hotline (1-800-273-8255). This can be helpful to many friends and family in your life, so put that number in your phone now. There are many resources and so many people who are willing to help. If you ever find yourself in a position that you don’t know where to turn, call the number or talk to someone you love. People care about you and the world needs you.

Finally, 13 Reasons Why is a great and powerful show. You will most likely shed some tears along the way, but there are lots of cute romantic moments too! It’s definitely worth 13 hours of your life. Give it a watch!

Reference

undefined. (August 11, 2016). Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System. In Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved April 13, 2017, from https://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/data/yrbs/index.htm.

Hi everyone! I'm an early childhood and special education major. I'm also in my junior year. I love to binge watch netflix and bake yummy foods. Looking forward to meeting everyone and writing about some womanly things.