stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips for Decluttering Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Now that the Summer is quickly disappearing and your wardrobe needs to start consisting of layers upon layers, it’s safe to say that Winter is actually on its way. Spring cleaning is widely popular, but it is important to start cleaning before the heavy Winter feeling starts to settle in around you. Check out these tips on how to start this season with a clutter free slate.

1. Delete your friends.

By friends, I mean “friends.” When was the last time you talked to Joe Smith from high school? And do you even know that Taylor Jones who is constantly posting negative statuses? It’s time to weed through your 700+ friends list and do some deleting!

2. Sort through your finances.

If you’re paying for that Netflix, gym membership, or even a magazine app that you haven’t been using for the last five months it’s probably a good idea to cancel it.

3. Clean up your diet.

As much as we all love to spend the weekends binging on alcohol and fast food, it’s time to switch out the fries and burgers for lean meat and complex carbs. Trust me, your body will thank you in a few days.

4. Rid of the clothes that don’t fit.

Holding onto clothes that don’t fit like they used to is a huge self-esteem basher. Locate a clothing drop box or Goodwill near you and donate those clothes.

5. Organize your time.

Grab a planner and start writing things down! We are constantly forgetting and procrastinating important events and tasks. By keeping a planner or using a calendar/to do list app on your phone, you’ll be able to stay on track easier than by using your memory alone.

6. Let go of those who hold you down.

Have one of those “friends” who are constantly bringing you down, filling the air with negativity and unhappiness? Well, it’s time to let that go. Friendships are important, but only if they are beneficial.

7. Clean up your attitude.

It’s time to rid of the “I can’ts” and the “that’s impossibles” and start striving for success. The only thing that’s stopping you from achieving your dreams is YOU.

While Spring cleaning is well known, there is never a wrong time to remove some clutter from your life and take some weight off your shoulders. Happy cleaning!

Hey everyone! My name is Tabitha and I'm currently a junior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Growing up with a bodybuilding father and a twinkie/brownie loving mother, the topic of food always ricocheted off the walls in my home. Living with two people who followed two different lifestyles sparked an interest in food, which led to my passion of nutrition and choosing the major of Nutrition-Dietetics track. When I'm not online scoping out new recipes and health articles I can be seen lifting at the gym, online shopping on my porch, or enjoying dinner with some great friends.