Style > Beauty

Three Beauty Products You Can Make for Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Did you know you can make your own beauty products? Often for a cost significantly less than buying it at the drug store? There are many items you can create yourself and adjust to your liking. I tried a few of them out myself and here are the ones I’ve found to work the best.

1. Body Scrub

Originally Found On: http://jugglingactmama.com/2014/05/diy-make-remover-pads.html

Body and facial scrubs are one of the simplest things to make yourself at home. Typically you need some type of oil (olive, coconut, almond), an exfoliant (sugar, salt, castor sugar, ground coffee), a container with a lid, and, if you want, additional ingredients to change the color or scent (essential oils, fresh mint or basil, fresh fruit juice, food coloring). If you are looking for a courser exfoliator, castor sugar, sugar, or salt. If you are looking for something a little gentler try ground coffee or lessen the amount of sugar or salt to your scrub.

You Will Need: 

1/4 cup ground coffee

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup Oil of Your Choice ( if you use coconut oil, melt it in the microwave first)

Directions: 

• Mix all of the dry ingredients together in bowl. Drizzle in the oil and mix until everything is combined.
  • This scrub is perfect for washing away dry flaky skin that winter causes while hydrating it.

2. Hair Masks

A homemade hair mask is as simple as melting a few tablespoons of coconut oil in the microwave and then massaging it into your hair focusing more on the ends than the roots. Leave it in for anywhere from thirty minutes to three plus hours before washing it out in the shower. It will leave your hair soft beyond belief.

3. DIY Makeup Remover Pads

The last homemade beauty product I have to share with you is makeup remover. Makeup remover can be expensive. Especially if you prefer makeup removing wipes or pads which often need repurchased every couple of weeks. Here is a recipe for created your own for far less.  

You Will Need:

A jar with a lid

1 1/2 cups water

2 tablespoons baby shampoo

1/4 teaspoon baby oil

Large round cotton pads

Directions: 

• Mix the water, shampoo, and oil in a small bowl.
  • Pour a small amount of the mixture into the jar and put five or six cotton rounds on top and let them soak up the liquid.
  • Continue adding liquid and pads until the jar is full. Store with the lid on.

These aren’t the only beauty products you can create yourself at home. There are Youtube tutorials that go as far as to teach you how to create your own foundation or blush. I tend to stick with the simpler options but if you are ever feeling more adventurous try googling or searching on Pinterest DIY beauty. There you will find endless recipes for making your own shampoo, bath bombs, shaving cream, lip balm, and more. And many of them are incredibly simple.

I'm currently a sophomore at IUP studying in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. Someday I hope to be a history and ESL teacher. I like to spend my spare time watching movies and baking cookies.