Thanksgiving Festivities and Black Friday Shopping 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Thanksgiving break is an amazing time for college students because it means that there are no tests that week, no class, and free homemade food! One of the best things is getting to reunite with friends from different colleges, and getting to relax with your pets. Many of us want to work at our hometown jobs to make some extra money for Christmas shopping and for the remainder of the semester. There are many festivities in which one can participate during that fantastic week away from school. These can include going to your favorite coffee shop, reading a book, catching up on Netflix shows, binging on some well-needed sleep, and enjoying your favorite mall that is better than the Indiana mall. 

Let’s not forget about the amazing feast at our house or a family member’s house over the break. I don’t know not know about you, but the nap after the turkey is the best nap of the year. There are definitely a lot of options for food when it comes to the dinner that day. And the best part is, your parents let you take the left over pumpkin pie back to school to eat! The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is also an excellent activity to watch on Thanksgiving day, and the football games that happen later in the day are pretty entertaining.

There are a bunch of stores that have decided that they will not open on Thanksgiving Day, and allow their employees to spend time with their families. Some of these stores include Costco, Game Stop, Staples, TJ Maxx, True Value, Jo Ann Fabrics, Sam’s Club, and Harbor Freight. As you can tell, a selection of these stores are not ones that typically sell Christmas related gifts unless you are shopping for industrial products. Black Friday definitely is a high point of Thanksgiving Break if you are working it or enjoying the amazing sales that are featured. There have been concerns about the increasing trend of opening the stores earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving Day. One of the most important things to remember during Black Friday is that the retail workers are only trying to help you and they have been working long hours to prepare for this day to give customers the best experience. Happy Thanksgiving, collegiettes!

Hi everyone! My name is Bonnie and I am a junior fashion merchandising major at IUP. My hobbies include watching scandal and gossip girl,eating popcorn, spending time in coffee shops,and going shopping at TJ Maxx.I love to write and talk about interesting topics.