Ten Health Apps You Should Have On Your Phone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Many people set fitness goals, but sturggle getting started with them. What better way to get started on a healthier lifestyle than by downloading a few new apps for your iPhone or Android device? Most students carry their phones everywhere with them, so these apps can act as a daily reminder to continue leading a healthy lifestyle. Check out a few of my top favorite apps to use!

10) Stress Doctor: This app uses the iPhone camera to check your heart rate and giving you tips to regulate your stress levels. Next time you feel stressed place your finger over the camera and check to see what you can do to reduce that stress. (iOS, free)

9) Gain Fitness: This app is loaded with tons of photos and videos of different types of workouts for your specific goals. Let the app know what your fitness goals are and let them tailor the exercises to your specific needs. (iOS, free)

8) Reps and Sets: For anyone who loves accuracy, check this app out. It essentially makes a list on an app, logging in your times and being able to check them off as you go. You can see your progress with the activity log and great how-to photos to make sure you’re staying on top of your game. (iOS, $1.99)

7) Argus: this app tracks nearly everything, and I mean it! From your food, steps, sleep, water, weight, you name it. This app is definitely a great way to keep all of your fitness goals in one area. (iOS, free)

6) MyFitnessPal: One of the most poplar apps is MyFitnessPal. This is a great way to keep track of your macronutrients, water intake, and exercise. You can pair MyFitnessPal up with other apps so all of your information is stored in one. The best part about MyFitnessPal is that is has such a huge food database where you will most likely find any food you are entering already pre-entered in the system. Can’t find it? Scan the bar code to log it in, or type it in for yourself! (iOS and Android, free)

5) The Walk: I, for one, can get pretty bored just walking to class, or trying to get my exercise by walking around campus or taking a walk around my neighbor. The Walk app allows you to make a game out of your strolls. The longer you walk and the closer you get to your destination, the more clues you reveal on your thrilling adventure. (iOS and Android, $2.99)

4) Fooducate: As a nutrition-dietetics major, I find this app absolutely amazing! Use this app to scan a bar code while grocery shopping to see how “healthy” the food you buy really is. This app also has the capability to show you better alternatives to the food you’re buying. (iOS and Android, Free)

3) Charity Miles: Love to run, walk, or bike? Use your miles as a donation to a charity! A corporate sponsor will match the miles you complete monetarily and donate to a charity. (iOS and Android, Free)

2) Fitocracy Macros: Reaching your macronutrient intake and checking “if it fits your macros” has become fairly popular within the past few years. This app allows you to track your macronutrient intake throughout the day to make sure you are meeting your requirements. Personally, I think this is a great app for someone who is more focused on their macronutrient intake rather than overall calorie content, since there is a lack of a food-calorie database compared to MyFitnessPal (#6). (iOS and Android, Free)

1) Smoothie Selector: Who wouldn’t want a recipe book of great pre and post workout smoothies (and even ideal snack and breakfast ideas) at the touch of their fingerprints? Check out the Smoothie Selector app.  Looking through the smoothie database you can find a variety of smoothies that are great for pre-workouts, weight loss, post-workouts, and health boosters. (iOS, $.99)

Hey everyone! My name is Tabitha and I'm currently a junior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Growing up with a bodybuilding father and a twinkie/brownie loving mother, the topic of food always ricocheted off the walls in my home. Living with two people who followed two different lifestyles sparked an interest in food, which led to my passion of nutrition and choosing the major of Nutrition-Dietetics track. When I'm not online scoping out new recipes and health articles I can be seen lifting at the gym, online shopping on my porch, or enjoying dinner with some great friends.