This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

This past summer I completed a twelve credit internship in Washington, D.C. In May, when the spring semester ended, I returned back home to Philadelphia for about two weeks and then I got up and moved to D.C on my own. No family, no friends. I was looking forward to this move for months, since the moment I found out that I was accepted into the program actually. I had no idea what to expect, but I was excited and ready to go. Many people did not quite understand why I was so excited; like I said I had no family nor friends there with me. Summer was about to begin, I just returned back home from being at school for nine months; they were confused. Confused but still very supportive. I was going into this with an open mind and remaining positive. I told myself that I would make the best of my three months there.

To begin, I moved in on move-in day all by myself. It was very overwhelming but it got done. Skipping forward a little, I have to admit that I was emotional for the first couple weeks. D.C. was great so far, but all of my friends were home, I missed my siblings and I missed my boyfriend who I was with every single day back at school. This leads me into my next topic that I want to touch on. Never let a relationship hold you back from any opportunity or experience. If you are a student considering an internship or study abroad program but you have a significant other back at home and don’t want to be away; do not think twice and just GO! This goes the same way for friendships. If your relationship is strong and real as you believe, it will be okay. It may be tough, but it will be okay and your partner should be nothing but supportive of your decision. My boyfriend at the time was supportive and just as happy as I was. This was a chance for me to reflect on my relationship and life overall.  Many people get love and attachment confused with one another. As I previously said, we were together every day at school. Once we had that space for the first time, I was able to see things that I was not able to see before. What truly mattered in life, what I wanted out of life, thoughts such as those. Ask yourself, “is this relationship holding me back?” “is he/she prospering with me?” “is our relationship growing or falling apart?” I am not telling you to move to a new city, state or country and just break up with your significant other. However, what I am suggesting is to take chances and give yourself that space sometimes. Separate yourself. Prior to D.C. I can say that I was a satisfied, happy individual. I was happy with myself and happy with my relationship.

Moving to Washington, D.C. by myself to complete my internship turned me into an even happier, more independent, more determined and more focused young woman. I spent my summer in D.C. exploring, creating new opportunities for myself and networking. I never realized how important, and enjoyable, networking is until I was forced to sit in three different workshops focusing on it. I met some great, helpful, successful individuals. Coming to D.C. I knew that I had to break out of my shell. There was no time to be shy. Take chances, start a conversation with that random person first, send that e-mail to that person in your field to conduct an informative interview. Overall, you miss 100% of the shots that you do not take.

Graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S in Child Development and Family Relations in May 2018. I have a passion for working with the youth, making a difference in the community, and having a positive impact on individual's lives. "A good woman, trying to be a better woman, while inspiring and helping the next woman."