Swan Lake Takes on IUP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

The popular ballet Swan Lake is being brought to Fisher Auditorium on March 28, 2016 at 7 pm. The Moscow festival ballet will grace the stage and delight audiences with the spirted music of Peter Tchaikovsky. The story of Swan Lake tells the story of a prince and his passion for a gorgeous swan.

The story features the Prince Siegfried, the Queen Mother of the Realm, Odette the Queen of the Swans, Sorcerer Rotbart, and his evil daughter Odylle. Other cast members include the swans, the court members, and the princesses from other nations.

The story begins when Prince Siegfried has grown up and gets to finally enter the world of affairs, war, and manhood. His mother wants him to pick a bride and make the decision at the ball. He journeys to the lake and comes across beautiful swans that assume human form. They are victims of a terrible curse and only by finding true love will the evil spell be lifted on them. The prince must choose one of the princesses in order to gain authority and contain his power. In his eyes, there is no maiden that is comparable in beauty to Odette. Ziegfried has given his heart to her and does not pick any of the princesses. The sorcerer Rotbart and his daughter come disguised as a knight and Odylle disguised as Odette. She becomes an enchantress and hypnotizes him by tricking him into declaring his love for her. The prince races to the lake after he realizes his mistake and overcomes all the obstacles by saving Odette.

Included in the feature of the Ballet, the Lively Arts will be hosting a pre-show question and answer session with the director and founder of the company, Sergei Radchenko.The session is being hosted by IUP dance Professor Joan Van Dyke. There will be interpretation by Russian exchange student Galiya Nasertdinova.

The Company was founded in 1989 and the principal dancer wanted to bring the great Bolshoi and Kirov ballet companies together in a brand new alliance. They have toured in Italy, France, Spain, Germany, and the United Kingdom. Other locations include Turkey, Greece, Japan, Korea, Singapore, and Hong Kong. They had very successful performances at many of these locations.The Moscow festival ballet also has expanded to Cinderella, Romeo & Juliet, Legend of Love, Stone Flower, and the Golden Age.The company has staged new productions of the classics that include Giselle, Don Quixote, Paquita, and Carmen.The classical music will enchant audiences and will leave the audience wanting more. The beautiful swan songs will make the crowd come back for more. Dance lovers will love the true classical technique of the Russian company and the delightful new take on the classic ballet.

Tickets are still available by visiting the IUP HUB box office on Pratt drive or ordering online. The ticket prices are regular $40, Seniors $34 or groups of 15 or more, and I-Card holders are $18 dollars. Every seat in the theater is a good seat so do not miss a chance to see this ballet on the IUP Stage!

Hi everyone! My name is Bonnie and I am a junior fashion merchandising major at IUP. My hobbies include watching scandal and gossip girl,eating popcorn, spending time in coffee shops,and going shopping at TJ Maxx.I love to write and talk about interesting topics.