books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Study Tips to Survive Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Finals week is one of the most stressful times of the semester. When preparing for finals, people tend to over-prepare and forget to take care of themselves. Depending on your college, finals may be a few days away or a few weeks. Regardless, it is never too soon to begin preparing for those final exams. Just remember to keep these few study tips in mind.

Make notecards.

While it may seem like an outdated practice, notecards can be extremely helpful. I know that you can make them online, but writing them by hand can help you retain more information.

Take practice quizzes.

Taking practice quizzes is a great way to review! If your class uses an online platform, they may even be built into the course.

Redo homework or exercises.

I know it sucked the first time around and I’m sure this is the last thing you want to do, but it is helpful. Redoing homework or exercises will show you if you’ve learned anything since the first time you completed the assignment. If you’re continually making the same mistake, your professor or a tutor will be able to help.

Take breaks.

Study breaks are not something many people talk about, but they are extremely important. Sitting at a desk for five hours straight will not be beneficial to you in the long run. Walk away, get some fresh air, and then return. If you find yourself frustrated or unable to focus, you probably need a break. Remember to take care of yourself.

Happy finals!

Danielle Jones is from Jeannette, Pennsylvania--a small town with big pride. As an English, Writing major with a minor is Business Administration she loves words and truly believes in their power. She is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at IUP. In her free time, Danielle enjoys reading, writing, and all things Shonda Rhimes.