This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

There is no doubt about it, Samantha Barnhart dreams big. A sophomore, English writing major, Sam hopes to add a dual major in English film studies, as well as a Spanish and Communications Media minor. With such a demanding course load, Sam only has one goal in mind: to become the head writer of Saturday Night Live.

Of course, she is completely qualified to do so. Here at IUP, she is an active member of TOST and Turned, the campus improv club. In fact, she has written and directed two of their shows, “Till the Cows Come Home” and “The Pet Meeting.” Additionally, Sam will be directing TOST and Turned’s fall show “The Games Afoot,” so be sure to check it out! But directing is nowhere near Sam’s only talent; she is a master at the art of words as well. She worked her way up from a staff writer at IUP’s student newspaper The Penn to copy editor and even created her own column for the paper called “The Crimson Hoax,” which reports satirical news pieces. Says Sam of her column, “News doesn’t always have to be serious. I think that if something is written really well and uses the right AP style, it should be published.”

Sam is also very active in the Indiana community. She volunteers as an usher for the Lively Arts shows at IUP, is a member of the Residence Hall Council in her dorm, offers her services at the Indiana Free Library, and even helps out at the Indiana Humane Society when possible.

In addition to writing and films, Sam is very passionate about traveling. She studied Shakespeare last summer in England, and has also visited Ireland, Wales, Canada, Mexico, and Costa Rica. With all of this experience under her belt, it may seem as if Sam is completely fearless, but even she admits to feeling insecure at times. “When I was a freshman, I didn’t even try to write for The Penn until March because I just thought ‘Oh I can’t do that, I don’t know how.’ So my advice to everyone is to just ask for help if you need it. The upperclassmen aren’t as scary as you think, and people really do want to see you succeed!”

Her words of guidance prove that Sam is not only a quirky and creative girl, but is wise beyond her years as well. With a heart full of ambition and a head full of brilliant ideas, Samantha Barnhart is surely going to find success!

I am a student at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania with two strong passions: education and travel. I plan to combine the two by teaching English abroad after I receive my degree in English education and Spanish education. But for now, I am enjoying my time at IUP and life in general! I feel that a day in which I didn't express myself is a day wasted. I love to develop my music taste by DJing for IUP's radio station. I also really enjoy cooking and adding my own twist to recipes - I hope to make a vegetarian cookbook someday! Finally, I have always had a love for writing, which is how I got involved with Her Campus in the first place. I started as a contributing writer, and now I am a campus correspondent for IUP's chapter of Her Campus. I look forward to working with all of the other students who belong to this great organization and cannot wait to see what will happen when all of our creativity and ideas mix together!