Rachel Di Pilla, PCMEA President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Rachel Di Pilla has known since seventh grade that she wanted music to be a part of her life. As Rachel got older, she discovered she loves working with kids as well, so it was only natural that she wanted to because a music teacher. Currently, she is a Music Education major, her main instrument being trumpet with a piano minor. “Being able to combine the my love of music and my love for teaching students into one career is nothing but a dream for me,” she says.

It was Rachel’s high school band director, Christa Vernon that got her really hooked on the idea of teaching music. According to Rachel, she was every example of what a teacher should be; outgoing, driven, and goal-oriented. Ideally, she would love to become a high school band director in the eastern Pennsylvania region, at a school that also has a marching band program.

Here at IUP, Rachel is involved in several music focused activities on and off campus. She’s a member of Sigma Alpha Iota, which is an all women music fraternity, she’s a brass technician for the Richland High School, she’s the commanding officer for IUP’s marching band, and she is president of PCMEA (Pennsylvania Collegiate Music Education Association), a position she has held since freshmen year

She was the first freshman president to be a part of PCMEA, and she was also the first IUP student on the PCMEA State Board. Rachel even received an award due to her involvement, which allowed the chapter to grow immensely.

In her spare time, Di Pilla trains for 5ks, 10ks, and half marathons. Before graduating this spring, Rachel would love to complete her first full length marathon.

Her advice to underclassmen? “Take advantage of every opportunity you have to learn and grow outside the classroom. These experiences will help you immensely, preparing you for even more challenging experiences. Step outside of your comfort zone!”