Potential MALE Birth Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Ever have a male friend or boyfriend who was extememly paranoid about pregnancy? Maybe distractingly so? Probably hitting the market in 2017, a version of birth control made specifically for men is in the works. Promising better peace of mind for the other half of society, the birth control is currently progressing well in its second run of tests on baboons.

The baboons are less happy about it. 

The treatment is a one time injection of gel into the male genitals to stop the flow of sperm. As unpleasant as that may sound,  and will give more control on their lives to those men not ready to be fathers yet. Like a less invasive version of the female IUD, it is easily reversible with a second injection that flushes the gel out of their system, letting all that fertility flow again. This news comes as happy tidings; now men can also have a back-up plan besides condoms (which are, of course, still recommended to prevent the spread of STD’s), against the problems associated with unwanted pregnancy. Honestly, I think it is a little overdue: with all the talk about freedom of choice for women, I cannot wait to celebrate the avaibility of options for men. 

Find more information here: Vasalgel

Hey all! My name's Cat, and I'm a proud English major at IUP campus, with a minor in Woman's studies, and maybe even Asian studies too if I can manage it. I'm not nearly as much of a workaholic as that makes me sound like though, I promise. I'm a huge nerd, thanks to my daddy, so when I'm not writing or reading you can catch me watching eclectic shows, playing strange games, and discussing why each of my friends is which superhero. My biggest vice is coffee, my favorite sport is marathon reading, and my favorite color is yellow, in case any of you lovely people really wanted to know. Feel free to contact me at any time, even just to chat! <3