jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

“Oh, sh*&.” What to Do When You’re in a Car Accident

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Car accidents are one of those unfortunate aspects of life. They happen. And whether it is your fault or someone else’s they are extremely nerve wracking. So before you start panicking take a deep breath and realize, this is something that happens.

First and foremost, prevent an accident, don’t drive distracted! This means don’t check your phone, don’t play distracting music, don’t drive and put on your make up, don’t eat and drive. Also, most people do not think of this but avoid having difficult, upsetting or overly emotional conversations in the car. While on the road, is not the place or time to do so.  Don’t drive under the influence- alcohol or drugs. Yes, driving under the influence does not just mean alcohol! Also, make sure you’re following all the driving laws. Go the speed limit, follow the signs. If you’re in an accident and doing something wrong, they will find out and you could face big consequences.

Next to preventing an accident is making sure you’re prepared. Keep your insurance and registration up to date and in an envelope in your glove box. If you have AAA, keeping their card in that envelope is a good idea also. And while you’re at it, put a pair of sunglasses in your glove box too. This is something I always forget to do but is something that is extremely important to be safe on the road.

Ok, you happen to get in an accident. They hit you, you hit them, whatever, DO NOT PANIC. First thought in a car situation is to panic, I know I have been there. Pull your car over to the side of the road, if you’re on the shoulder of the road make sure to put your blinkers on. Hopefully, the other car will do the same. If someone is injured and needs immediate medical attention call 911 immediately. If not call the local police station, if you don’t know the local number then it is ok to call 911 to report an accident.

Next thing to do is to get out of the car and talk to the other driver. It is important to remain calm and neutral. You don’t know this person, you don’t know what type of person they are. We all like to think every person out there is a good person but that is not the truth. Do not admit fault, do not talk about your life, don’t tell them your life story, just ask, “are you ok?” Then go to your handy glove box and pull out your envelope with your license and registration. The next thing to do is to exchange information. This means that you give the other person the name and number of your insurance, the year, make and model of your vehicle, and you’re name and phone number and then you write down the same information of theirs. Hopefully, by this time a police officer has arrived. The officer will take your insurance, registration and license and run it through their system. Next, they will write a report. This is when you get to tell your side of the story to the officer. They will asses both sides and determine who was at fault. The persons who’s fault it is, is who’s insurance you go through for damage- this is the reason you exchanged information. When you call the insurance they will walk you through what happens next.

If someone hits you and doesn’t stop try to record their license plate and what make and model their car was. Then call the police. Hopefully, they’ll be able to track this person down.

Car accidents suck but they happen to everyone. Make sure you’re prepared. Try your best to avoid them but mostly, remain calm. Also, if you happen to hit a parked car, don’t be a jerk. You have insurance for a reason. Leave a note with your name, number, date, and time of accident, coming from someone who knows, this experience sucks, do the right thing. Be smart, be safe and don’t be afraid. And if someone is driving dangerously on the road, report them and call 911, we have a duty as human beings to keep each other safe.

pictures sponsored by giphy.com

Cats and Caffeine are key.