This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

For many of us, college is the first time that we are apart from our families for eight months out of the year. Due to this we assume more responsibility and independence in our day to day life. Now we get to make decisions like where to eat, whether or not to go to that party, whether or not to skip class, when you will do your school work, and how to spend your money. When May rolls around we are so used to being in charge of our own lives that when we move back home with our parents it’s challenging succumbing to their rules. To play the devil’s advocate for a bit I want to point some things about coming back home that you may have forgotten.

Your parents are so glad to see you. If you live on the other side of the state like I do, you know that you don’t always get to go home as much as others do. The last time I seen my parents was the last day of winter break, and the time before that was when they dropped me off in August. So when they tell you assign you a curfew or don’t let you go out when you want, let them because they really just miss you. Throughout much of the year their only means of contact with you is through phone calls. It might help them to go on a family outing to spend some quality time together.

You are fortunate. We, as students of IUP with families to come home to, are incredibly fortunate. We get to go to college and get a degree that will shape our careers, which might be partially paid for by our parents. To be able to go back to a home with safe running water, heating and cooling, food, people who love you, and a warm bed is all that we could hope for. Yes, parents can be annoying sometimes but some individuals our age tragically lost their parents or simply don’t have them as a part of their lives any longer. Additionally, many lost their lives or got gravely injured during this year, be thankful that you get the opportunity to go home, because some others aren’t as lucky. Our home life could be way worse than it is, so be thankful that your parents want to spend time with you and are protective of you.  

Hi everyone! I'm an early childhood and special education major. I'm also in my junior year. I love to binge watch netflix and bake yummy foods. Looking forward to meeting everyone and writing about some womanly things.