Meghan Donegan, Phi Gamma Nu Social Chair and Penn Ad Rep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

“Always be the best you that you can be” is the mantra Meghan Donegan, IUP Junior, lives by.

Meet Meghan; one of this week’s campus celebs. She is a marketing major at IUP. Meghan chose marketing because she loves the creative aspect of marketing and the many different ways she can pursue a career. She hopes to have a job that is never the same every day and has a high energy atmosphere.

Meghan is involved in the honors business fraternity on campus, Phi Gamma Nu (PGN), and works as an advertising representative at IUP’s student run newspaper, The Penn.

“On an average day at The Penn, I contact a handful of my clients. I have ninety clients that are just mine to assist” said Meghan. “It is my job to work with them to come up with an advertising campaign that will be effective for their company. They range from local businesses to various colleges in the Pittsburgh area. I have learned that being patient, clearly relaying my thoughts and making sure each advertisement is a top priority are crucial skills for success as an Ad Rep.”

Megan loves working at The Penn. She originally heard of the position through a member of Phi Gamma Nu and thought that the job would be a great way to get more involved at IUP. However working at The Penn has given her more than just involvement at IUP.

“I realized that when I accepted the position I was going to get to know IUP better” said Meghan, “but as a result I became more familiar with the whole town.  Between traveling around Indiana and getting to know local business owners it made IUP feel even more like home.”

This year is Meghan’s third year in Phi Gamma Nu. The honors business fraternity has a variety of professional development experiences, community service events, and fundraisers.  Last semester, Meghan was elected as an officer; she became social chair for PGN. As social chair it is her responsibility to plan all of the social events. For example, this semester Meghan has planned a Founder’s day party and chose a basketball game for everyone in the organization to go attend.

“I wanted to have a real voice in the organization so that new members would continue to get as much out of it as I have.” Said Meghan when asked why she ran for the Social Chair position.  “I know the only reason I met people was because I attended a social function that PGN hosted. Therefore, I made it my mission to become social chair and give people even more opportunities to meet their best friends.”

Besides working as an ad rep for The Penn and being PGN’s social chair, Meghan is also taking on a full course load with the maximum amount of credits allowed, 18. She is taking three business and three graphic design classes. When asked her advice for balancing a full schedule, she replied “GET A PLANNER!”

“Being organized is the key to success!” Meghan said, “ I do not have a good memory so I write everything down when I hear about it and I realized if I know something is approaching I get it done sooner.”

After graduation Meghan hopes to move to a city (not New York City) and get a job in an advertising agency within their branding department. “I am very interested in the graphic part of marketing” she said, “such as how different logos and tag lines are created.”

Outside of school and school activities, Meghan loves going to the beach. She says that it is her favorite place in the world. She also enjoys being around her family and friends. Meghan said that without the support of her friends and family, she would not have been able to accomplish everything that she has today.

Jordan Snowden is a recent Summa Cum Laude graduate of Indiana University of Pennsylvania. She majored in Communications Media with a minor in Business Administration. In her spare time, she can most likely be found hula hooping. Hoop dance is a passion of hers and she is president and co-founder of the IUP Hoop Troupe .