Meet Courteney Williams!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

1. What is your major? If you changed your major, indicate what it was before and what it is now and why you switched.

I am a junior Journalism and Public Relations major with a minor in women’s studies. I’ve always loved writing, but it was my sophomore year of high school that put the idea of journalism in my head. After starting at IUP, I decided to go down the Public Relations route. I started the women’s studies minor this semester (spring 2017). I decided to declare this minor because women’s rights are extremely important to me. After graduation, I would love to work in public relations in the music entertainment world or with a women’s organization.

2. List organizations you are involved in, as well as positions held. Please provide a brief description of what you do in each organization. (i.e. CA, NRHH, work with COY)

CA –Nnorthern Suites. I’m responsible for programming a minimum of five times a semester, building/developing community, being available for residents if they need advice and it’s topped off with some administrative tasks in the hall’s main office.

NRHH – Recognition chair (responsible for putting together the behind the scenes for the annual COY event. This requires me to work with the residence hall councils (RHC) and guide them through the process. I’m also in charge of submitting OTMs to the CAACURH regional level)

WIUP-FM – IUP’s radio station – the show that I co-DJ with my friend, Chris Frei airs on Fridays 10am-12pm. My show is mostly alternative/indie rock.

3. What is your favorite part of being a member of the organizations listed above?

CA – I love interacting with residents on a day to day basis and helping them grow into student leader. Helping them grow as people and students is so rewarding. It’s a feeling that is unlike any other experience I’ve had.

NRHH – I enjoy working with other student leaders to promote leadership and service opportunities on campus. As Recognition Chair, I’ve enjoyed working with the RHCs and helping them prepare for COY.

WIUP-FM – Discovering new music is a passion of mine. Preparing for my shows each week, I’m able to share my love for music with the IUP community. Working for a radio station is something I would love to do in the future.

4. Things you have participated in through IUP (i.e. conferences, mission trips, etc.)

I attended NACURH 2016 and CAACURH 2016. At CAACURH 2016, I presented a program on self-care

5. What are you looking forward to in your remaining years at IUP?

I’m looking forward to whatever opportunities present themselves within my last year at IUP. I’m excited to continue my work in NRHH and throughout OHRLD. I’m also looking forward to spending my last year with the friends I’ve made here. I’m ready for whatever adventure IUP throws at me.

6. What gets you through your tough days?

On my tough days, I reach out for the support of my family and friends. Through the good and bad, they’ve always been there for me and supported my life decisions.

7. What is your favorite quote?

One of my favorite quotes is by Jon Foreman who is the lead singer of the band Switchfoot. He once said, “If we spend our time obsessing with the future or regretting the past, then we will never live. Tomorrow will always be tomorrow and yesterday cannot be changed.” I find this quote to stand true in any situation I’ve been in. I think it’s so important to live in the present and not to worry about the past or present. Everything happens for a reason and that’s something I will continue to live by.

8. Advice to freshmen looking to get involved on campus?

My advice to incoming freshman would be to find out what you’re passionate about and to stay true to yourself. No matter what your passion is, I’m sure there’s something here for you to excel in. Go out of your way to find out when club meetings are and be present. Find the things that motivate you and push you to your highest potential. College is the time to find out what you like and don’t like and the time to find who you are as a person.  

Hi everyone! My name is Bonnie and I am a junior fashion merchandising major at IUP. My hobbies include watching scandal and gossip girl,eating popcorn, spending time in coffee shops,and going shopping at TJ Maxx.I love to write and talk about interesting topics.