Marissa Olean, SGA President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Meet the president of IUP’s Student Government Association, one of the most valuable people on IUP’s campus, and the next campus celebrity, Miss Marissa Olean. Marissa isn’t your ordinary student, she came here as a transfer student in her second semester of her freshman year from a small, private, catholic college. After some experiences in her small college, she decided to become a Crimson Hawk and now she doesn’t want to leave.  Marissa is a senior criminology, pre-law major that is more involved in the campus than your average student.

Marissa is known for her active involvement in Student Government Association (SGA) and her sorority Alpha Sigma Tau. She didn’t get involved in campus organizations until her sophomore year and from there she soared. As an active member in Alpha Sigma Tau and SGA, she was able to participate in university events such as IUPatty’s cleanup, Relay for Life, and Hawk Walk. Now, she is the president of SGA and she is also the vice president of operations in her sorority.

“I don’t really have time for myself anymore, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything else. I am always hanging out with my sisters from the sorority or I am participating in an event for SGA. I am a very busy person. ” Marissa explains in a brief interview. Marissa is a busy individual, but she loves the opportunities that SGA and Alpha Sigma Tau have given her.

Marissa’s plan after graduation is to further her education and go onto graduate school. She is ready to take chances and try new things, but she is still looking for her aspiration. She is not ready to leave IUP. “I love IUP and all my friends are here. I’m not ready to leave.” Marissa said.  She has such a close connection with IUP and leaving just breaks her heart.

Marissa advice for all underclassman is that you have the ability to do anything you want to do because IUP gives you the opportunities to do them.  As Marissa says “Underclassmen have the most opportunities. Underclassmen have the most power because they have the ability to get involved and try new things. When you are a senior, you focus more on the future and graduation.”

Marissa opens everyone’s eyes to the opportunities on campus and she is a person that every student should look up to. She has become an active member in campus events and she is an inspiration to many women at the IUP campus. Marissa wants young women to know, “Never let anyone tell you that you cannot do something that you believe you can do.” 

Kendyl Walker was born in Baltimore, MD and is a English, writing studies major at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.