March for Our Lives: Pittsburgh, PA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

On March 24, 2018, I attended the March for Our Lives in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This movement brings awareness to gun violence and demands change for gun control legislation. It was started by the students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School who survived the school shooting on February 14, 2018. Marches were held all over the country and even in other countries. To start the day, people gathered around the Pittsburgh City Council building around 11:30AM at the intersection of Forbes Avenue and Grant Street, eagerly waiting to start marching. By 12:00 pm, the march had begun. People of every age, race, and gender chanted and proudly waved their signs. While some were witty and clever, others were powerful and demanding. I think most of the signs speak for themselves:

“Pittsburgh Needs Better Gun Control”

“No High-Capacity Magazines. No ARs for Civilians. No Bump Stocks. No Loopholes. No Pretending There’s Not a Solution.”

Everywhere you looked, signs were being raised high in the air.

“Listen to Young People”

“Waiting on the World to Change,” song lyrics by John Mayer.

“Class Homework Not Classroom Horrors.”

After marching about four blocks, everyone gathered at Market Square for a rally. Several people, including politicians and students, used their voices to speak out for gun control. They made it clear that the march wasn’t about Democrats vs. Republicans. It was about coming together and making sensible gun laws. Those who spoke delivered very moving speeches. Some talked about how guns have personally affected their lives while others read poems or sang songs about the issue.

People were able to register to vote at booths in Market Square.

A young girl sits on her father’s shoulders, listening to the speeches.

A boy holding a “Never Again” sign, the saying being used on social media to bring awareness to the gun-control movement.

A dog with a “Cuddles! Not Guns!” receiving lots of attention after the rally.

Before the march, it was estimated that 3,000 people were to march in Pittsburgh. At the rally, we were told that 30,000 were in attendance. I am proud to say I was able to march for something I believe in. It was amazing to see so many people come together to fight for a great cause. I encourage young people to go out and vote and to make their voices be heard. We have power. We have the ability to cause change. We are the future of America.

All photos taken by Kate Marodi.

Kate is a senior Communications Media major at Indiana University of Pennsylvania from Bentleyville, Pennsylvania. She enjoys spending time with her family and friends, taking long naps, eating ice cream with lots of sprinkles, photography, musicals, walking her dog, and listening to 60s/70s music.