This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

We all want to look slimmer for the summer months, after all it is bikini season. While growing up and even now, a large amount of girls compare themselves and their bodies to others. The facts remain that no two female bodies are the same. Therefore, comparing your body to someone else’s won’t do you any good. Body confidence in girls is very low originating from childhood. To combat this we must look within ourselves and accept our bodies. Body positivity and acceptance are key!

Nowadays social media is such a large part of our day. Many times the “ideal” woman shown in ads is skinny with no curves. So looking up to your favorite actress or model and comparing your figure to theirs further diminishes self-worth, self-concept, and self-confidence. Instead of aspiring to be something that is unattainable, our time and energy would be better spent appreciating ourselves.

There are better ways to lose weight if that is what you want to work towards. What you should NOT do to lose weight includes such things as binge eating, not eating at all, or working out in excess. Some ideas that could help include: setting reachable goals, eating what you want in moderation, and exercising within your schedule. Working extremely hard to fit into a size that is not reasonable will not benefit your life in any way. Having dangerous eating habits will not lead to instant weight loss. Lastly, going from never working out to working out three hours a day every day can have adverse effects on your body and overall health. These things are good to keep in mind when we start to think about slimming down or changing our body type during the summer months.

Also, the biggest step in acquiring a body that you hope to have starts with loving yourself. You can’t wish away things that you can’t change. We only have one body, it’s better to love what we have than to cover it up every day.

To take the words from a powerful woman of comedy, “When you do talk about yourself or talk to yourself try to picture you talking to your own daughter, or your younger sister. Because you would tell your younger sister or your daughter that she is beautiful, and you wouldn’t be lying. Because she is. And so are you.” – Amy Poehler

Gif credit of giphy.com

Hi everyone! I'm an early childhood and special education major. I'm also in my junior year. I love to binge watch netflix and bake yummy foods. Looking forward to meeting everyone and writing about some womanly things.