IUP Glitter: “Spead the Glitter, Spread the Love.”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.
It’s time to speak up about mental health!  As an IUP Junior, Demi Hoover is doing just that.  Last fall, Demi’s research writing class was assigned to write a research paper on a topic that each student wanted to raise awareness towards.  Demi chose to write about suicide awareness in honor of her friend that she lost to suicide.  The service portion of her paper was inspiration to start IUP Glitter.  

IUP Glitter was created in honor to spread glitter as a symbol of love and support for those fighting the silent battle that is depression.  Last fall, Demi handed out bags filled with glitter and encouraged people to “Spread the glitter, spread the love.” by sprinkling glitter throughout the Oak Grove.  

Over the past year, Demi has had hundreds of people contact her in regards to her mission and project.  And because of the support and positive reaction to IUP Glitter, Demi will be returning to the Oak Grove on Friday, October 23 to once again hand out bags of glitter to spread her symbol of love and support in honor of her friend.  She will be sprinkling glitter in hopes of bringing awareness to depression and to help eliminate any stigmas associated with mental health, thus bringing about an understanding.  

It is important to note that feeling stressed, anxious, sad, hopeless, irritable or unfocused is a normal part of the college experience, but they could also be something that requires help to overcome. If you are in physical pain, you should seek help. Mental health is just as important as your studies.

Perhaps you have noticed a friend who might be feeling this way.  It’s OK to ask that friend how they feel and it’s even more important to let that friend know that their feelings are valid and they are not alone.  

Whether you are searching for tips to improve your mental health, or you are worried about the mental health of a friend, a great first step is to visit IUP’s Counseling Center.
If at any point you wish to consult with a person trained to listen and provide support to persons who are depressed or suicidal, please call:

• The IUP Counseling Center: 724-357-2621
The Open Door of Indiana: 1-877-333-2470
• National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 
  (For the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, TTY: 1-800-799-4889)
• Hopeline: 1-800-442-HOPE (1-800-442-4673)

The information and resources provided are meant to serve as starting places to better understand the importance of getting help for persons feeling depressed or suicidal. 

Each person matters and we can make a difference in another person’s life.  No one should feel alone. No one should suffer in silence.

“Spread the glitter, spread the love.” – IUP Glitter, Demi Hoover
Jennifer is a senior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, where she is an English Education major. When she isn't attending class, she loves spending time with her family and friends. She thinks that there is a chance to be AWESOME in every opportunity she's presented with and works hard to spread her positive outlook to those around her. Jennifer enjoys eating and trying new foods, participating in obstacle course 5k's, watching sappy movies, handing out high-5's, and writing. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @jzeanchock.