Importance of Self Care: A Guide to A Better You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

First, ask yourself these questions:

Have you ate in the last four hours?

If you answered no, stop and go get yourself a meal. Your body needs fuel. It is time for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. If there is a specific food that you want, do not hesitate. You do not need to eat healthy all of the time.

How many hours have you slept out of the last 24 hours?

Everyone has their own sleeping schedule, but most people need 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. If you did not get those 8, free up some time to go take a nap.

Are you in any pain at all?

If you have any aches or pains, go take an aspirin. Cramps? A heating pad always helps! Remember to be kind to your body.

Is something about your environment distressing or uncomfortable?

Set a timer for 15 minutes, and try to come up with a solution. 15 minutes only. Most likely, it will be something that you can change. If not, reach out to someone and ask for their help.

Are you feeling lonely or in need of affection?

If so, it is okay! Everyone feels lonely at times, and you can always reach out to people different ways. Whether it is talking to a roommate, calling a friend from home, or using Facebook messenger. Talk about anything that you feel like.

Do you have pets?

If you’re ever feeling on the edge, take some time out and play with your pet. Pet your cat, take your dog outside for a walk, or feed your fish…whatever! If you do not have any pets, take a half hour and do whatever it is that you please right now. Nothing that is harmful to your body, but something to take your mind off of things for a little. Watch TV, take a walk, lay on the couch and do nothing.

I cannot express enough how crucial self-care is for your own good. Sometimes we can take the “hard work pays off,” saying, a little too far, especially as college students. You can lose focus, and not even realize you are no longer working efficiently. You may think taking some time out to focus on yourself and your own needs for a small amount of time each day will backtrack you, but the turth is: it will help you achieve your goals even better. Here’s why. Did you ever get to the point where you just want to give up? I think we all have, but self-care will prevent your stress from taking over, and from reaching that point of wanting to completely give up on everything. A little half hour to hour break to tend to yourself is all you need. Trust me. Take a break, and regain focus, you will see the affects in your work results. As a beginner to self-care, start with making time to eat well, exercise, and getting enough sleep for your body. Once you take care of your body, the emotional hygiene fixing comes in. Do not just ignore the emotions that you are feeling, tend to them, try and find a resolution. Keep a journal with you. Spend your time, energy, and money on what is truly important in life. You will see your life do a full 360, for the better!

Graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S in Child Development and Family Relations in May 2018. I have a passion for working with the youth, making a difference in the community, and having a positive impact on individual's lives. "A good woman, trying to be a better woman, while inspiring and helping the next woman."