This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

The average college student graduates $26,000 in debt. This number tends to increase as the cost of tuition and interest rates on loans go up each year. Between the costs of tuition, housing, and textbooks many students are left with the task of balancing both classes and their checkbook. Because college can be tough on the wallet, HerCampus has compiled several tips to help you save some extra cash and take away some of your spending worries.

Spend Less on Textbooks

Every student loathes the huge dent left in their wallet after purchasing a semester’s worth of textbooks. Though the price of a brand new textbook at the University Store can be well over $300, there are plenty of other options! A good idea is to first check with friends that previously had the course to see if you can borrow or buy the textbook from them.  Also, if your professor says it’s okay to use an older or international edition, definitely look into purchasing either option, as they are significantly cheaper and most times have nearly identical content. Another huge money saving tip is to go to the website: www.cheapesttextbooks.com and put the title or isbn of your book into the search bar to compare prices of textbooks from numerous (and reliable) online bookstores to find you the absolute cheapest option whether you’re looking to buy or rent. Spending less money on textbooks is one of the easiest ways to save money in college.

Utilize Coupons

We’ve all received those Campus Special coupon books that are handed out at the beginning of each semester. Although we all have them, most of us overlook some of the awesome deals. The coupon books have anything from “buy one get one” deals to free covers at local bars. Whether you’re looking for coupons for late night snacks or a place to go out to eat— the coupon books cover it all. If you don’t have the coupon book, download the Campus Special application on your phone so wherever you go you can be plugged into the great deals that are offered.

Cut Back on Food Expenses

Ramen noodles and easy mac are often pegged as the staple food for college kids. Even if you have limited funds there are many ways you can eat well while spending less. One way you can save is by getting a couple friends together once a week or so and having each person bring something for the meal. This is a great way to get your friends together and also eat a nice meal, while only having to bring one dish. Another option is to find a local produce market to buy fresh fruit and vegetables in season for cheaper prices than you’d find at the grocery store. Many times, the fruit and vegetables are fresh off the farm and completely organic, as well.

[page break]

Get a Job

Time and class-schedule permitting, getting a job is a great way to make some money in your spare time and help you bring in some extra income. There are always restaurants and food places looking for extra help once the college students roll in. Also, look to see what jobs the school has available for students like working at the gym, library, or offices. If you need on-the-spot cash you can try to find a place that buys used clothing or accessories.

Keep Track of Your Expenses

Whether you’re excel-savvy or prefer an application that does it for you- keeping track of your expenses will keep you organized and aware of where your money is going. You’ll be surprised how much money you spend on little things like your daily coffee or that in-between snack. Mint.com is the perfect website to automatically track your accounts and credit cards in once place and see the big picture of where your money is going. 

I am currently an English Education student with a Spanish minor at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania.  I work as a Community Assistant in one of the residence halls and volunteer as a tutor for students learning English as a second language.  My dream job is that of a secondary bilingual education teacher.  Some of my favorite past times include watching movies, drinking coffee, reading, and hanging out with my friends here at IUP.I am also the president of Her Campus IUP.  The opportunity to work with the talented writers, photographers, and designers that I do makes the position enjoyable and rewarding.  We work as a team to bring readers the best possible articles and events.