High-End Designers are Actually More Affordable than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Let’s face it, what girl doesn’t want to own something from Chanel? I know I do! Websites such as www.bagborroworsteal.com andwww.renttherunway.com allow you to dress like a celebrity without spending thousands of dollars.

Bag, Borrow or Steal is a site that allows you to rent designer handbags that you have been dying to get your hands on, but cannot afford to buy at the moment. In addition to handbags, you can also rent jewelry and sunglasses. Are you traveling abroad, going to a party or simply just want to show off? Designers like Gucci, Chanel, Prada, Chloe, Tory Burch and Louis Vuitton are featured on Bag, Borrow or Steal. Soon you can become the envy of every girl on campus.

The way the website works: first, you should become a member. Memberships are $5 a month with a $60 bonus rental credit. I know what you’re thinking, $60 a year is a lot of money, but you receive a $60 bonus in rental credit so in the end it’s a win-win situation for you. If you do not wish to become a member and receive the benefits Bag, Borrow or Steal has to offer, you can be a guest for free until you are convinced membership is worth every penny. Next, pick out the handbag or accessory you have been obsessing over and dreaming about every day. Nervous about how much you will be spending­? Don’t be. Rentals will obviously be cheaper than buying it full price and won’t leave you completely broke.
To rent a bag for a week, it can cost you anywhere from $10 to $200. It all depends on the designer and the type of bag.  ­­­­Once you have found your must-have, click the rent button and it’s yours for a week, a month, or even a year! When your rental is up, ship it back to Bag, Borrow, or Steal at no charge. If you are absolutely in love with your rental and never want to be without it, there is an option for you to steal: The website’s version of “buy.” Now you need a new wardrobe to go with that fabulous new bag you just rented, right? Right!

[Page Break]

It’s time to stop by your new one stop shopping website for the latest must-have dresses. Rent the Runway is similar to Bag, Borrow or Steal as you are renting, not buying, unless you are one lucky girl without a limit on your credit card. Rent the Runway displays designers from Kate Spade to Theory to Vera Wang. Thousand-dollar dresses for $150 or $200 is what I call an absolute steal. To begin renting that gorgeous Alice + Olivia dress you have had your eyes on since seeing Rachel Bilson rock it in an issue of Teen Vogue, you first need to become a member, free of charge. Once you become a member, a $20 credit is added to your account. What’s even more fantastic is that shipping is also free. One great benefit of this website is if you know you have an event to attend months in advance, you can pick the date you want your purchase to arrive and you can keep it from four to eight days.

Unfortunately, renting these purses and dresses means you can’t keep them forever. Take as many photos as you can when wearing that fabulous Hervé Léger dress with that to die for Lauren Merkin croc clutch. A picture is worth a thousand words and with these designers I say that picture would be worth even more.

Photos courtesy of Bagborrowsteal.com & Renttherunway.com

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.