roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Healthy Picks at Starbucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

It is officially spring, and you know what that means: sweet, pretty colored drinks everywhere!  What lies beneath these delicious, seasonal drinks? Sugar—and a lot of it. You can easily drink 260 calories, 40 grams of sugar, and 20% of your day’s worth of saturated fat. That’s roughly the same amount of calories as 4 medium sized apples, the same amount of sugar as 12 Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip Cookies, and ½ of a tablespoon of butter’s saturated fat content. As an occasional treat (or dessert), a splurge on a super sweet Starbucks drink is perfectly fine! As I say “everything in moderation!” But what other options does Starbucks have that loyal customers should be consuming? Check out a few of the best picks from the Starbucks menu!

1. Tall Teavana® Shaken Iced Passion Tango™ Tea (Unsweetened)

For 0 calories and 0 carbs, what could be a better pick than the Teavana® Shaken Iced Passion Tango™ Tea? This delicious iced tea is infused with hibiscus and natural tropical flavors. If you’re craving a little sweetness, ask for it sweetened, but be sure to tack on 60 calories if you do so. 

2. Caramel Frappuccino® Light Blended Beverage

Want to indulge without all the bulge? Starbuck’s has you covered with the Caramel Frappuccino® Light Blended Beverage. With roughly 130 calories and less than 1 gram of fat, the Caramel Frappuccino® Light Blended Beverage is a safe choice at Starbucks.  Stick with nonfat milk to shed 30 calories off of that drink!

3. Tall Skinny Vanilla Latte

Starbucks’s Skinny Vanilla Latte is perfect for anyone who is watching their weight, but does not want to compromise flavor. With nonfat milk and sugar free vanilla syrup, you’re satisfying your sweet tooth without killing your diet. Try adding ice for an iced skinny latte, or try another Starbucks sugar free flavored syrup.

4) Tall Coffee Frappuccino® Blended Beverage

90 calories of delicious flavored coffee, milk, ice is the perfect start to anyone’s morning. Add a splash of sugar free vanilla or caramel syrup if you need a bit more flavor.

5. Tall Skinny Caramel Macchiato

For 100 calories you get the delicious flavor of the original Caramel Macchiato but with 1/3 fewer calories. Made with sugar-free vanilla syrup, steamed, nonfat milk, and a touch of their Expresso Roast, this is a perfect treat to wake up to on cold mornings. 

Hey everyone! My name is Tabitha and I'm currently a junior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Growing up with a bodybuilding father and a twinkie/brownie loving mother, the topic of food always ricocheted off the walls in my home. Living with two people who followed two different lifestyles sparked an interest in food, which led to my passion of nutrition and choosing the major of Nutrition-Dietetics track. When I'm not online scoping out new recipes and health articles I can be seen lifting at the gym, online shopping on my porch, or enjoying dinner with some great friends.
I am currently an English Education student with a Spanish minor at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania.  I work as a Community Assistant in one of the residence halls and volunteer as a tutor for students learning English as a second language.  My dream job is that of a secondary bilingual education teacher.  Some of my favorite past times include watching movies, drinking coffee, reading, and hanging out with my friends here at IUP.I am also the president of Her Campus IUP.  The opportunity to work with the talented writers, photographers, and designers that I do makes the position enjoyable and rewarding.  We work as a team to bring readers the best possible articles and events.