Goodbye, Leonard Hall!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Every student at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania has an…interesting relationship with Leonard Hall. Though the original building was destroyed by a fire in the year 1952, the current Leonard Hall has been standing on campus since its reconstruction in 1953, and boy, is it showing its age. 

A host to countless English and geography/regional planning classes, Leonard Hall is notorious for its extreme climates. Namely, during the months of August and September, students find the ability to breathe to be a chore as the air is thicker than a Louisiana marsh. However, during the months of October until roughly late April, it is advised to sport atleast two parkas and six pairs of socks in order to keep your body temperature above thirty degrees farenheit while attending class. It is also recommended that superstitious students bring along their lucky rabbit’s foot or four leaf clover any time they enter the building, as the odd creaks and clangs of the building make it seem possible that it will collapse at any moment.

But all jokes aside, Leonard Hall is a lovely academic building with a rich history and an adoring fan group. I mean that literally. Since the building is so hot during the summer months, there are probably atleast several hundred fans going at once to keep the temperature stable. Nevertheless, IUP plans to tear down this aging friend of ours once the new humanities and social sciences building is finished in the Spring semester of 2016. But before we say our final goodbyes, I thought we should take moment to admire the charm that Leonard never lacks.

Interesting decor lines the walls of Leonard Hall.

During the winter, walking outside of Leonard feels like some sort of spooky, snowy scene in a scary movie…that is not neccesarily a bad thing!

See what I mean?

And who can forget the cool etchings that are on the front pillars of the building? They are inspirational and make the building even more ecclectic!

Thanks for the memories, Leonard! We will always hold you in our hearts!

I am a student at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania with two strong passions: education and travel. I plan to combine the two by teaching English abroad after I receive my degree in English education and Spanish education. But for now, I am enjoying my time at IUP and life in general! I feel that a day in which I didn't express myself is a day wasted. I love to develop my music taste by DJing for IUP's radio station. I also really enjoy cooking and adding my own twist to recipes - I hope to make a vegetarian cookbook someday! Finally, I have always had a love for writing, which is how I got involved with Her Campus in the first place. I started as a contributing writer, and now I am a campus correspondent for IUP's chapter of Her Campus. I look forward to working with all of the other students who belong to this great organization and cannot wait to see what will happen when all of our creativity and ideas mix together!