Wellness > Mental Health

To the Girl Dancing to the Beat of Her Own Drum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

This world is a tough one. This life is imperfect. We are all just doing what we need to do to get by. Some are respectful of that others aren’t. This article is for the girl struggling along, swimming against the current, dancing out while others march in step. For the girl who wears her chucks to church, to the one with the wild hair.

(Photo by Averie Woodard on Unsplash)

We are all made different, all with our own struggles and thoughts coming from different backgrounds, each of us dealing with things in our own way. I will never understand why people, especially women are so against each other. While we should be lifting each other up, we are busy tearing each other down.

If you are someone who does things in your own way, be proud of it. Own it. Don’t be afraid to be you because you are beautiful in your own right.

Just because you skip while others walk and so on, don’t allow their negative ideas or opinions bother you. This world was made by those who thought differently than others. Where would we be today without the creative and powerful women who didn’t allow societies binaries hold them back from achieving their goals and spreading positivity and empowerment throughout the world.

(Photo by Ben White on Unsplash)

Do you and you will find others who will follow. There is a quote by C.S. Lewis that has become one of my favorite quotes which I feel applies here, “Be weird. Be random. Because you never know who would love the person you hide.” Though most people tend to think about romantic love when they read this, it applies to other types of love and friendship. As long as you are who you are meant to be other people who appreciate you will gravitate towards. The people who don’t are not worth your time.

If you are a person who does their own thing or differently than how “normal” people do it then don’t be afraid to encourage others who also share this independence. If you can do your own thing then they can do theirs. Plus, you never know, your encouragement might be what they need that day or you might find a new friend. Keep doing you because no matter if the people around you think so, you are awesome.

(Photo by Jonathan Daniels on Unsplash)

Cats and Caffeine are key.