This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

The Holiday Season is approaching very quickly with Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner.  This time is the heart of giving and receiving; such as, gifts, happiness, and kindness.  The gift of receiving is great because you get nice gifts and you are filled with happiness because someone actually cares enough to buy you a present or kill you with kindness.  In this society, the gift of giving is not used correctly like it should.  The feeling one gets when giving a gift and seeing someone else’s expressions is priceless.  People need to use this power in the best possible way they can. 

Here are some ways to lend a hand during this Holiday Season:

1. Help out at a local soup kitchen or food drive.  These locations are some of the only meals that less fortunate individuals receive.  Attend one, play some games, have a conversation, and watch as you put a smile on someone’s face.

2. Send Holiday cards to a hospital.  Whether it is your local hospital, a children’s hospital, or even a nursing home, an inspirational card can really boost their energy.  Holidays, for some people, are the only happiness they receive so go out and make a difference with a simple card.

3. Participate in Holiday shoeboxes and exchanges.  A great way to spread the Holiday cheer is to send a gift to someone who is in need.  One idea is to send a shoebox of goodies to a soldier overseas; this brings joy to them the Holiday spirit and shows how grateful everyone is of them back at home.  Also, you can find a less fortunate child who may not necessarily receive gifts during this time and send them what is on their wish list.  How this works is you can pick up a tag from a local organization and on this will have the gender, age, and what they would like that year.  Everything is anonymous but you are making one more child’s dreams come true.

4. Donate to Stuff a Bus.  Some of the areas near you may participate in something called “Stuff a Bus”.  This is an event in which you can bring toys and gifts to a location and the organization will stuff as many buses as they can with the toys that are donated.

5. Donate to the Salvation Army.  Usually at most Walmarts or shopping centers, you will see someone ringing a bell with a bucket.  These are individuals who volunteer for the Salvation Army; a dollar or even some extra change you have could help someone who really needs it.

6. Pay it Forward.  If you are in front of someone in line at a restaurant, one way to show kindness, is to simply pay for their meal.  It will show someone how much you care even though you do not even know them.  It will make them feel good about themselves and could even help them if they are having a bad day.

7. Cook a Homeless Person a Meal.  Homeless people, especially during the Holidays, struggle to find food and warmth.  Offering them a home cooked meal is a great way to show kindness.  You will put the biggest smile on their face and maybe even save their life.

These are some of many ways that you can apply the gift of giving.  Put a smile on someone’s face and show how much you care.  Even a simple compliment to a stranger can really brighten their day.  The gift of giving is a wonderful way to make a good in this world.

Hellooo! I am your average teenage girl besides all of the quirkiness and energy I carry along with me :) I am a freshman at IUP and is looking to change my major to business management and exercise science!