Garcinia Cambogia Extract – A Dream Come True?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

One day, I was watching television when Dr. Oz came on. I don’t usually watch his show, but since there was nothing else to watch, I decided, why not? This episode was about this new pumpkin shaped fruit called Garcinia. The special thing about this fruit is that it helps people lose weight. It’s almost a girl’s dream come true! After the show ended, I started to think about it and wonder if the fruit actually worked. The funny thing is that the very next day, my teacher from Health and Wellness class mentioned this fruit and asked us the question – is this too good to be true? Is it real?

I decided to do more research on this miracle because it is almost too good to be true. Located in Southeast Asia, coastal Karnataka/Kerala, India, and west and central Africa, this fruit is grown and thrives in most moist forests. Garcinia looks like a small pumpkin and is green to pale yellow in color. The Garcinia is a fruit that is usually used for curry and other delicious Indian meals. But what about weight loss? That is where the confusion lies. Is it really a miracle weight loss supplement or is it just another ploy for people to spend their money?

After doing the research, I learned that Garcinia offers one of the least expensive herbal supplements on the market. The ingredient from the rind of the fruit could hasten your weight-loss efforts. The natural extract is called hydroxycitric acid (HCA), and researchers claim that HCA can double or triple one’s weight loss. It does this by makeing a person feel full throughout the day when the extract is taken in the moring. Eating is highly recommended, but with proper weight-loss efforts such as dieting and exercising, the average person taking HCA lost an about four pounds a month. Garcinia may also be great for emotional eaters. Those who participated in the study showed an increase in their serotonin levels; hence, it may improve mood and sleeping patterns.

There has not been any research done in the United States about this plant, but in India, research has been done. There were different test subjects about this plant and it seems like it has been working, but other research says that it is not very effective. My take on this is: talk to your doctor! I am very big on talking about products with your doctor or other experts before putting it in your body. Not everyone works the same and not everyone will get the same results. Before you start taking out your credit card and buying boxes of this extract, look into it. Do the research and talk to your doctor. See what they say and then make your decision.

I am always up for some old fashion diet and exercise. It has been proven to work and doing it right will make you feel more accomplished. It’s a great feeling knowing that you did it with your own hands, not some extract that may or may not work.

Don’t risk your health- do the research!

text-indent:.5in”>

Hey everyone! I'm a senior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a History, Pre-Law major and Enlgish minor. I hope you all are enjoying my articles and those of my fellow writers. Follow me on twitter or instagram - jessicavalenx3. Let me know what you would to see on HerCampus and we will always try to accomodate. Thanks and enjoy!