Feeling Down? 5 Tips to Make Today Better!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Has the rainy weather been bringing you down? Or maybe you have hit the point in the semester where going to class feels like a chore and you’re feeling overwhelmed with everything in your life? Don’t worry, you’re not the only one feeling this way.

Here is a list of ideas to try and put some positivity back in your life and steer yourself away from your negative feelings.

1. Deep breath. First and foremost, take a deep breath. It’s easy to get caught up in the stress of everything so give yourself some time to do some deep, relaxing breaths.

2. If you just need to vent and let off built up semester steam, call up a friend or parent and let them know what’s going on. Getting stressful thoughts out will prevent you from keeping your feelings inside and you will probably receive some advice. Plus it’s always nice to talk to someone who understands you and will be a great listening ear.

3. Puppy videos – as silly as it may sound, taking a quick break from studying to watch puppies play will most definitely put a smile on your face. Stop listening to any depressing music that will encourage sadness and turn to lighthearted, cute videos to brighten your day.

4. Socialize – get out of your room and hang out with a friend. Isolating yourself will only make you feel more down. Have a movie night, go out to eat, or just head to the mall. Getting some fresh air and having some company will hopefully help shake off any sadness and will get you smiling out in the world. Hanging out with your friends for just 1 hour will actually make you more productive!

5. Treat yourself in a small way. I’m not saying to go crazy and spend a lot of money–just buying yourself some Meadows ice cream or renting new movie might lift your spirits a bit. If you love reading, treating yourself to a new book is the perfect way to relax.

Between school, work, family, and friends, life can cause some headaches. Just take a deep breath, call mom, or have a starbucks date with a friend. Smile. Everything is going to work out. 

My name is Carolanne. I am a sophomore at IUP with a major in communications media. I enjoy writing and would love to work for a major magazine someday. When I am not busy with school, I enjoy doing artwork and spending time with my family, friends, and fiancé.