courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Don’t forget your friend in college

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Most of us know the sad, weird feeling when one of your friends goes away to college. It’s sad that you won’t be able to hangout every night or just go out to random fast food chains. But, you’re proud of them, so you push them to go to help better themselves. Regardless, if you are going away to a different college, online college, or even staying back home to work, the thought of your friend moving away from you is just as bad as a heartbreak.

(Photo by Rawpixel.com)

Don’t forget about that friend. Just because they moved away doesn’t mean they forgot about you. Give them a call every once in a while. Ask them about their upcoming exams and wish them luck. Even if they happen to miss your call, leave a voicemail. That friend will appreciate it and will try to reach out to you too. To continue the friendship, you both have to try your hardest to reach out to each other.

College can be busy. Schedules every day are different and assignments can clutter up your day. Sometimes we go to bed at 11:00 pm and at the library by 6:00 am the next day.  College can be hard and really stressful. A lot of the time we tend to internalize our stress. We get too stressed and pull ourselves away from the people that love and care about us. We don’t mean too. We miss home and would give anything to have one night with no homework. Most of the time we just need to hear from our friends, talk all the gossip, and eventually we will return to our normal self again.

(Photo by Alex Jones)

Please remember that we exist. When something bad happens, check up on us. Don’t assume that because we share happy things on social media that we are okay. Between bad situations, school, and being away from home, life can get pretty depressing and lonely. Just a text asking if we are okay will brighten up our mood. Remember we exist, even on the weekends we are not home.

We appreciate you a lot. We love and miss you just as much as you do us. We would be lost without you. But sometimes we feel lonely and forgotten. Just remember that we often look forward to coming home just to hang out with you and go to random fast food chains (even though we both know we shouldn’t).

"She remembered who she was, then the game changed."