This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

In my free time, I find one of the most peaceful things to do is read a book. Take some time out for yourself to lie down, put a face mask on, and crack open a new read. Remember, self-care! Here are a list of my favorites:

1. 52 Small Changes for the Mind

There are 52 weeks in a year. Every week, learn a new tip that can help you become a better individual. How to improve memory, minimize stress, increase positivity, boost happiness, become a better friend and so much more.

2. The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success (This book changed my mindset, which caused my life to change)

This book discusses how personal success is not the outcome of hard work, but more so understanding our basic nature as humans and ways to follow the laws of nature. If you follow these 7 laws, you can obtain everything that you want in this world. “When you truly want something and go after it without limiting yourself with disbelief, the universe will make it happen.”

3. The Secret

A great self-help book. The Secret focuses on the Law of Attraction; it suggests that your own thoughts can change your world.

4. The Power (The sequel to The Secret)

5. The $100 Start Up

Interested in starting your own business, creating a brand? The $100 Start Up will teach you about success and how to turn ideas into income. This book is for creatives, not those who believe that the only way to make it in this world is by working a 9-5 job. Or, if you are willing to learn how to be your own boss, I highly suggest this read.

(Photo by Abednego Setio Gusti)

6. The 48 Laws of Power

Also a good read that discusses the laws of nature. A book on three thousand years of experience in achieving power.

7. Words that Matter

This “Little Book of Life Lessons,” is written by the Oprah Winfrey Magazine. A book filled with great wisdom from some pretty important people.

8. Conversations with God

There are three parts to this book. Although I am still on Part 1, it has been one of the greatest reads I ever picked up. I randomly bought this book at the airport on my way home from Kenya, and I could not be anymore satisfied with my purchase. I cannot put the book down. It is written as a dialogue between the author and God; the author asking questions and God answering. This book is deep and do not think you have to be religious to read this.

9. 5 Love Languages

My boyfriend bought this book for me for Valentine’s Day, and this is another one that is difficult to put down. You will learn a lot about yourself, your partner, and both of your love languages. Discovering what both of your love languages are and the reasoning behind the actions of your spouse is very interesting; it helps you become a better love and improve your relationship.

10. The Leadership Challenge

I was assigned to read this book for one of my internship courses and I ended up actually finishing the book when we were not required to. If you believe that you are a leader in your community or would one day like to be, this is the book for you. It will increase your knowledge on how to create extraordinary results.

11. Complicated Simplicities

This book was written by my friend Jameel Watson; a college student author from Philadelphia, PA. It is a documentation of a damaged man, in which he ultimately learns that a good woman will always trump philosophy.

Graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S in Child Development and Family Relations in May 2018. I have a passion for working with the youth, making a difference in the community, and having a positive impact on individual's lives. "A good woman, trying to be a better woman, while inspiring and helping the next woman."