A Collegiette’s Guide to St. Patty’s Day Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

For over 1,000 years, the Irish have celebrated St. Patrick’s Day on March 17.  Irishmen honor St. Patrick with foods, dancing and drinking.  Are you looking for some new green drinks to go along with your corned beef and cabbage this year?  Check out some of these recipes to create your own, if you are of the legal drinking age of course!  If you are not 21 yet, do not worry! I have included some alcohol-free recipes that are just as tasty! 

Alcoholic Drinks:

Bagpipers Melody

Ingredients:     1 ounce Whiskey
                        1 ounce Green Crème de Menthe
                        Ice
Mix everything in an old-fashioned glass and enjoy this minty cocktail.

Green Mist

Ingredients:     ½ ounce Banana Liqueur
                        ½ ounce Cherry Brandy
                        1 ounce Green Crème de Menthe
                        3 ounces Ginger Ale
                        Ice
                        Shaker
Place ice in shaker first and then mix the alcohol and shake.  After you pour the mix into a martini glass, top it off with ginger ale for an enjoyable fruity beverage.

[pagebreak]

Mint Cooler

Ingredients:     1 ounce Crème de Menthe
                        1 ½ ounces Gin
                        Ginger Ale
                        Ice
                        Shaker
Mix the ice and alcohol into shaker.  Once shaken well, pour into a highball glass halfway and fill the rest of the glass with Ginger Ale for another great minty drink.

Caruso

Ingredients:     1 ounce Dry Vermouth
                        1 ounce Gin
                        A dash of Crème de Menthe
                        Ice
                        Shaker
Mix all ingredients together and shake well.  Pour into a martini glass for a nice dry drink.

Green Beer

Ingredients:     1 can of light beer
                        1 bottle of green or blue food coloring
                        1 frosty mug
Simply pour the can of light beer into a frosty mug.  Once poured, add a few drops of green food coloring.  If you do not have green food coloring, using blue will work (the yellow color of the beer mixed with the blue food coloring will mix it green.)

[pagebreak]

Non-alcoholic Drinks:

Green Alien

Ingredients:     3 ounces of limejuice
                        3 ounces carbonated lemonade
                        Crushed ice
                        Lime slice
                        Shaker
Mix limejuice and carbonated lemonade into shaker.  Next, pour mixture into a glass filled with crushed ice.  Add the lemon slice for decoration.

Green Temptation

Ingredients:     1 teaspoon lemon juice
                        ½ bottle lemonade, chilled
                        1 tablespoon sugar syrup
                        2 drops peppermint essence
                        Few drops green food coloring
Mix all of the ingredients in a tall glass and serve cold.  Add a cherry for a nice decoration.

Green Grape Iceberg

Ingredients:     4 ounces sparking water
                        4 ounces white grape juice
                        10 green grapes
                        Green food coloring
                        Blender
First, freeze the 10 grapes.  After they have frozen, pour grape juice into blender, add 8 frozen grapes and 2 drops of green food coloring.  Blend for 15 seconds.  Then pour the drink into a highball glass, add sparkling water and mix.  Add the remaining 2 grapes to garnish.

With all of these recipes, you and your friends can celebrate a fun St. Patrick’s Day.  And remember, you can make any non-alcoholic drink into a fun St. Patrick’s Day drink just by adding a drop or two of green food coloring!

[pagebreak]

Photos courtesy of     
http://www.yumsugar.com/Happy-Hour-Mock-Green-Alien-259405
http://www.tarladalal.com/Green-Temptation-502r
http://www.in-the-spirit.co.uk/index.php
http://holidays.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/02/green_drinks_green_cocktails.php
http://beer.about.com/od/drinksmadewithbeer/r/GreenBeerRecipe.htm
origami-instructions.com

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.