The Collegiette’s Guide to Finding a Job in Indiana, Pa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Entering college gives us an independent feeling that simply can’t be ignored. Finally, we are living on our own with no rules, no curfews, and…no money?  Unfortunately, hitting the parental units up for cash is a very real scenario that you may encounter while living the IUP life. Finding a job to supplement your parents’ charity isn’t an easy task, but it’s also not impossible. Here’s a few ways to get that feeling of independence back.

“Several departments on campus do not require Federal Work Study, such as the dining halls, the Kovalchick Convention Complex, and the Writing Center,” says Janice Shellenbarger, Special Events, Employer Relations and Technology Coordinator at the IUP Career Development Center.  “It all depends on the budget allocation the department receives in federal work study funds.” 

So you applied for Federal Work Study and were rejected? Don’t fret: IUP offers on-campus positions that don’t require Federal Work Study.  These awards will be advertised as University Employment (UE) or State Work Study, according to IUP’s Student Employment Center website.
There are a few ways you can approach a job search.  First, there is the option of searching online on the Student Employment Center website, http://www.iup.edu/studentemployment/.  The site is updated as various positions open, and is listed for a month’s time.  

You can also visit the Student Employment Center office at Pratt Hall, room 302.  There you will find a bulletin board and a binder overflowing with on and off campus job opportunities. The Student Employment Center recommends that if there is a specific position you are interested in, don’t be shy-show your interest by reaching out to those employers personally.

Once you’ve found the job that you feel is just right for you, apply! Act fast because remember, you are not the only one seeking a job out there. Competition is fierce.
From the Regency strip mall to Indiana Mall, to serving at a local restaurant, there are plenty of opportunities to be found out there.  Plus, no car is required because the IndiGo bus travels all around Indiana-and the fare is free with your I-Card.

So, you can keep asking Mom and Dad to sponsor that weekly Sheetz habit, or you can utilize these tips and find the perfect part-time job that offers the feelings of freedom that you desire.

Sources:
http://www2.ed.gov/programs/fws/index.html
http://www.iup.edu/studentemployment/default.aspx
Email interview with Vyleisha White, Senior at IUP
Email interview with Janice Shellenbarger from the Career Development Center at IUP
photo courtesy of small-business-consultants.net

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.