free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Career Expo and Graduate School Fair Prep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

It is that time again to start going to networking events and for graduates, the sometimes dreaded job and graduate school fair. Many collegiate are nervous for their first time at a job fair and that is highly understandable. IUP’s fall semester job fair is coming up very soon so it is perfect time to start preparation for that. There will be many people that you will not know and it can be very scary. No need to worry though because the key is to be confident or least the fake the confidence. It can be very nerve racking, but with experience you will become more comfortable with it. Most likely there will be stations for water or to sit down so those are great places to remove or decrease anxiety.

Wardrobe tips:

Depending on the industry that you are interested in, will definitely effect your dress code choices for impressing a future employer. A blazer and dress pants never fail in a job situation because it looks very professional. Many career education places would highly suggest to wear neutrals such as grey, blue, purple, black, and red for color selection. Orange is a big no no when it comes to the professional dress setting. Eat before you go and before you get dressed because no one wants to have to worry about a stain on their skirt/pants or blouse. It will be essential to wear a comfy but professional pair of heels or flats. No one wants to be the girl who is tripping or having a hard time maneuvering in her heels.

Resume/ Business Cards: It is highly advised to have multiple copies of your resume on hand in case you run into employers that you become interested in. Try to avoid any typos because employers will not think twice about throwing that resume in the trashcan. Make sure to get it reviewed before the career fair by a friend or career education professional. Research companies before you go so that way you look prepared for anything. If you have time for it, consider making business cards or printing your resume on certified resume paper. Our writers have gotten many callbacks for interviews from having their resume printed on this kind of paper. Her Campus suggests to practice your elevator speech so that way you not get nervous which is perfectly normal for a job fair.

Don’t:

Employers notice when you use filler, curse, and slang words so it is advised to not use those when speaking to them. If you have children, the IUP Career and Development center advises not to bring those. If you do bring your cell phone, don’t use it around employers. Do not use negative body language or facial expressions because they do notice it.

Her Campus hopes that everyone breaks a leg and rocks the job fair. It will be a great time!!

Hi everyone! My name is Bonnie and I am a junior fashion merchandising major at IUP. My hobbies include watching scandal and gossip girl,eating popcorn, spending time in coffee shops,and going shopping at TJ Maxx.I love to write and talk about interesting topics.