This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Michelle Kostelansky is also known as “Gracey Lou.” It’s a childhood nickname, but people joke around and call her, “Gracey Lou Freebush” from Sandra Bullock’s character in the hit 2000 movie, Miss Congeniality.

Since she enrolled at IUP as a freshmen in fall 2012, Gracey’s top priority has been to get involved on campus and help out in the community.

“I didn’t want to be that stereotypical college student,” said Gracey.  “I didn’t want to be considered another drunk college student—but I wanted to explore, and be something more.”

M​usic has always been a passion for Gracey ever since she was a child she fell in love with the sound and feel of instruments. It’s something that will always be a part of her.

Upon entering college, she became involved in marching band and absolutely loved it. It’s something she vows to do every year until she graduates in the spring of 2016. Not only is she involved marching band, but, this semester, she decided to join the IUP choir where she was placed to sing as a soprano.

“Music is a passion of mine. I get enjoyment out of entertaining people,” said Grace. “I know how to play over five instruments, and I taught myself how to play all of them.”

Despite her love of music, she decided to pursue a degree in English with a concentration in Pre-Law. Writing is another passion of Gracey’s, along with learning the law of the United States. The law is something she thinks, as Americans, everyone should know.

Arts and crafts, along with DYI projects are another passion of Gracey’s. Over the years, she’s created dresses, friendship bracelets, pillows, and that’s just to name a few projects. Currently, she’s creating a purse that is completely made out of pop-tabs from can sodas.

“I saw the pop-tab project online and thought it was awesome,” said Gracey. “Not only am I saving the environment, but I’m creating fashion at the same time.”

On top of her music, writing, and arts and crafts projects, Gracey has decided to pledge the professional music fraternity, Sigma Alpha Iota, this semester.

“I know I’m busy, but I feel like I’m not doing enough,” said Gracey. “I want to get involved in the community and help people and Sigma Alpha Iota does a lot of things in helping the community and I feel that, in joining, it will help me toward my goals. And the girls are amazing!”

When asked about her post-grad plans, Gracey replied with, “I don’t know. I could become a lawyer or a famous fashion designer. I’m only a sophomore. I have a year or so until I have to become an adult and decide.”

I am currently an English Education student with a Spanish minor at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania.  I work as a Community Assistant in one of the residence halls and volunteer as a tutor for students learning English as a second language.  My dream job is that of a secondary bilingual education teacher.  Some of my favorite past times include watching movies, drinking coffee, reading, and hanging out with my friends here at IUP.I am also the president of Her Campus IUP.  The opportunity to work with the talented writers, photographers, and designers that I do makes the position enjoyable and rewarding.  We work as a team to bring readers the best possible articles and events.